Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

pymatuning lake (summer)

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Gju42486, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

seen there was alot of pymie guys on this site. During the summer i have a camp right off of church road, in pymatuning village allotment. Got a pontoon boat docked down at espyville marina. Just wondering how you guys did last year on the eyes,,,mostly slow for me most of the year. I like to troll the 23foot spot by orchard boat launch. Just wondering what most of you guys run during the summer,,,if you are still are hitting the stumps this time of the year or trolling hot n tots, thundersticks,and worm harnesses in the channel. Im hoping someone will help me out on this subject, if you dont want to share info on here,,drop me an e-mail at, im not asking for all your go to spots or anything like that,,,just lookin to get some tips on the lake,,any help is appreciated.
  2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Welcome to the best site in the web. :)
    I fish pymi alot but mostly for smallies. If you take advantage
    of the walleyes nature as a cool water species and get after them
    in spring and early summer they're easier to find.
    We get just as many eyes as bass in the weeds and off points
    and in the bays when the water temp. is still below 60 degrees.

3. George,

Welcome to the site.

I’m familiar with the area you mentioned in front of Orchard, but the channel edge is only one of dozens of spots to explore in that section. Never rule out the stumps no matter what people may say from one day to the next. My favorite summertime tactics at Pymatuning are banging the stumps with bottom bouncers & crawler harness, trolling lead core & hot-n-tots, lindy rigging with live bait, and working the weed edges with a jig & half crawler. I’ll keep an eye out for your posts in the NE forum. I usually hit Pymy pretty hard in May and June.
  4. I've always had my best success dragging jigs with minnows through the weeds or Lindy rigs with floating jigs with either crawlers or leeches. I'll tell you, if your tossing jigs, reel them back in AS SLOW AS YOU CAN! I mean it should take you atleast a minute to turn your handle one turn. You'll want to reel it that slow. That is the best advice I can give you. If you get hungup in the weeds, even better. Slowly pull it out and BANG! WALLEYE. I don't know how many I've caught that way.

If your dragging Lindy rigs in the summer, I like to drift the flats south of the causeway. Keep it on the bottom and you'll get into them.

Let us know how you make out.
  5. keep them tips coming guys I camp out there every year with the kids...
  6. Where do you camp at Pymatuning atrkyhntr? We used to camp in Jamestown, PA a lot as well as in the State park in Andover, OH. I used to have a pontoon boat docked at the marina near Birches Landing as well. I LOVE this lake. I have not been there now for two years and have heard the fishing has tampered off some. I'd like to think that the 'eyes are just recooperating until my next visit! :D
  7. catking

catking Banned

My brother fished there last fall with his wife . I usually go at least once a year if possible. My brother brought in some pics the other day and I about fell over. The pics were of the smallies he and his wife caught from the bank . The smallest one was right at four pounds :eek: :eek: ...With the largest at a little over five pounds. I couldn't believe the size of these fish. They caught 12 total in a day's time............There are a few spots on that lake that really produce from a boat. There are a few sunken island that would be EXCELLENT at night for HUGE smallies......... :cool: .THE CATKING !!!
  8. I camp at the Ohio State Park on the water I think it is sites #56-58 that we like HUGE lots right on the water...
    My youngest is 4 now and I may be able to take her out on a boat or pontoon this coming summer...
    We'll be there somtime during the following weeks
    and a weekend here and there...