Pymatuning Help

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by corndawg, May 9, 2008.

1. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

My wife rented out a cabin for me at Pymatuning for 4 days next week for a 50th birthday present. I have maps of the lake and have somewhat of a game plan but I haven’t fished that lake in over 10 years and I was hoping I could get some help from my OGF brethrens. I’m not looking for GPS locations but was hoping some of you would lend me some tips on fishing this lake. Would like to target mostly Bass, crappie and walleyes. I have a 14’ Sea Nymph with a 9.9 so I can get to anywhere on the lake. PMs welcomed. Thanks in advance.

2. I love fishing there. Always do well. That's where the summer home is. I shore fish down at snodgrass, always have a great day there. I have fished down by the damn also and had a great day there to as well. Lottsa luck to ya.. :p

3. I dont have the greatest luck there but I have caught a couple monsters this year but didnt land them. They won the battle. Rocky shore lines seem to have been the best. Using blade baits.

4. I hope your going with reasonable expectations for the walleye fishing...

As for the bass fishing, it's really an overlooked place. Just bring your flippin' stick and you'll be ok...

5. ohio-outdoorsman

ohio-outdoorsman yeah, i fish

i love pyma for bass! try snodgrass for smallmouth. the 41bay area is pretty good for largemouth, as is the shoreline along the jamestown camp. another good spot is down toward the dam on the righthand side you'll see a point with a lot of windfalls on it. i do well here regularly. The end of may thru june i do very well on top water baits, especially on chug bugs. hope this helps you out!

6. bzlgw1

bzlgw1 Life Member

Corn, I had pretty good luck fishin there last year. I launched on the south side by the beach and skirted the west shore line until i passed under the little causeway, (Not the main causeway). From there i boated north/north east for about 500 yards, until i was just about even with the west side of the main causeway (west side if you look back over your outboard, toward the causeway), from there i started to troll north for about a 1/4 mile and then drift back south (towards the main causeway)

7. gave pymy a try today with minimal success. Launched in the state park ramp near the dam. Circled the big island with a spinner bait and couldn't buy a bass. Senko'd and tubed the rock wall railroad bed and still nothing. Finally we decided to try our luck drifitng for walleye. two small perch and one 20 inch eye. Everything I've been hearing about the lake seemed to ring true: The walleye are few and far between, but the ones you catch are big!

8. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

I want to thank those of you who posted and PMed me info on this lake. We’re heading out early Thursday morning and we’ll try to use the tips given. I know the walleye pop. Is down but we will be fishing for whatever is biting. Hopefully we’ll be able to hook into a few fish. Thanks again to all that replied.:)