Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone will give me some guidance.

I rented a pontoon for Thursday. It's going to be super HOT! I'm literally looking to catch anything for my two young boys.

Any suggestions on location or bait?

Catfish?
Carp?
Crappie? (use minnows? bobber? bottom?)
Walleye? (troll?)

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm hoping someone will give me some guidance.

I rented a pontoon for Thursday. It's going to be super HOT! I'm literally looking to catch anything for my two young boys.

Any suggestions on location or bait?

Catfish?
Carp?
Crappie? (use minnows? bobber? bottom?)
Walleye? (troll?)

Any help is appreciated!
My wife n I did well in catfish using a single gold blade spinner tipped with half nightcrawler. We were fishing north end in front of Clark island in morning and evening. That was two weeks back. A few perch n bluegill hit that to. Just casting and retrieving in 8-9 ft water. I’m sure you will find them ok. That’s all I got. Good luck and take the sunscreen!

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,794 Posts
I'm not familiar with day fishing. But I'd throw jigs and spinners with worm. Could catch walleye or cats.

At night I had been having great mixed bags with flicker shads off the causeway. That's about all I've used this year. Last wednesday or Thursday I went and it was all smallmouth. Other species might be deeper. Not sure. It could have been affected by waves that day as well. I reeled in clumps of weeds nearly every cast.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I only fished there for a week in July 2 years ago, but I had a lot of success for 1-3lb catfish with just a jig and half a crawler. Didn't try minnows cause it was so hot. Most of our success was in the middle of the lake in 15' of water about 300 yds south of the causeway. Caught a few nice perch, gills, and walleye too. There is a hump out there where it goes from 25' of water in the channel, up to 15' of water with stumps on the bottom. We didn't catch much north of the causeway. At the bridge opening, we caught plenty of cats and a few smallmouth bass.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife n I did well in catfish using a single gold blade spinner tipped with half nightcrawler. We were fishing north end in front of Clark island in morning and evening. That was two weeks back. A few perch n bluegill hit that to. Just casting and retrieving in 8-9 ft water. I’m sure you will find them ok. That’s all I got. Good luck and take the sunscreen!
THANK YOU!

·
multi species angler
4,370 Posts
Troll crawler harnesses about 7 feet down in the water column and you will catch all the catfish you would like.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
What if you want walleye? Or are you a catfishermam?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
What if you want walleye? Or are you a catfishermam?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
No I'm a walleye fisherman, you may pick up a few walleye doing that but you get worn out catching catfish. Take lots of crawlers. Averaging about 6 dozen a day pulling harnesses with all of the cats.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I second that, have trolled harnesses there the last several weeks. It is nothing to catch 20 to 40 catfish in a day, bring lots of crawlers.

No I'm a walleye fisherman, you may pick up a few walleye doing that but you get worn out catching catfish. Take lots of crawlers. Averaging about 6 dozen a day pulling harnesses with all of the cats.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Well......It was a good day! Thank you for all the help! Picked up this guy!!!!! View attachment 366013
Dang that's a nice musky!!!!! Always makes for a great day.

If I might give one friendly piece of advice. When holding a large fish like a musky, hold it horizontally supporting the belly, not like that in the pic. It's massively damaging its gills and internal organs, let alone the battle in the heat. It might swim off fine but there is a high mortality rate when handled like that,especially in these hot months

Unless you kept it and ate it,then more power to you.
Just friendly advice

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dang that's a nice musky!!!!! Always makes for a great day.

If I might give one friendly piece of advice. When holding a large fish like a musky, hold it horizontally supporting the belly, not like that in the pic. It's massively damaging its gills and internal organs, let alone the battle in the heat. It might swim off fine but there is a high mortality rate when handled like that,especially in these hot months

Unless you kept it and ate it,then more power to you.
Just friendly advice

Thank you for the advice. I'll take it and appreciate ir!
I'd LOVE to say I'll USE it, which means I get to catch a few more of these!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts