Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Pymatuning next week and would love to have some tips on the walleye this time of year. Many years ago, I fished this lake with grandpa and we would troll worm harnesses or flatfish tipped with crawlers in the channel south of the causeway. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a buddy that's the VIP in the state campgrounds. Last I talked to him, he's been struggling to get walleye. He's been trolling north of Stocker's island (the one directly east of the campgrounds) along the channel w/bombers, not sure of color. Also drifting the 15-20' flats on the east side, w/crawler harnesses and whistler jig and minnow. All I got, sorry, tough time of year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. If the 'eyes aren't biting, are there good spots for bass or crappie that you're aware of? or even muskie?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just got back from Pyma from our annual camping trip. Was there from Wed to Sat. Unfortunately with the rain and crappy weather we only got to go out twice for a few hours. On Thursday we only got one walleye less than 15" a crappie, a couple of perch and a channel cat. Not exactly what we were looking for after pulling 3 fish ohio's a year ago. On Friday, we went in the morning and got a couple of 5 lbers and had a 7 lber get off at the boat and lost another nice one at the boat. The bite was still really tough as we had to fight for them. We used Big Os, hot n tots, and bombers in deep waters. All different colors. I spoke to the baitshop and they said that the fish were biting good before that big front came in about 3 weeks ago and then they said they see mainly empty stringers ever since. They cannot believe how their mouths have shut down after that front.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm heading to Pymatuning next week and would love to have some tips on the walleye this time of year. Many years ago, I fished this lake with grandpa and we would troll worm harnesses or flatfish tipped with crawlers in the channel south of the causeway. Any advice would be appreciated.
Did you go, yet? I'm heading up there this weekend, and am looking for a report. Thank you....:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We just got back Wed nite. Fished mon, tues & wed and didn't get anything. We used worm harnesses, bottom bouncers and about every crankbait in the box - deep diving shad raps, hot n tots, bombers, etc. We fished mostly from the causeway south almost to the Jamestown marina. Didn't get any good reports while there except for the occasional single.
Good luck...it's as pretty as ever up there. Even had a few eagles sightings.

·
Registered
542 Posts
We got a few little perch. No crappie, walleye or even smallmouths. Terrible! My kid got a giant snapper on a jug though. Oh joy.... I got to figure out how to post pics. The place is beautiful, I agree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went up on Saturday (7/25), I fished the northern part of the lake (around Tuttle Point), mainly trolling hot-n-tots and I had no luck. I then tried drift fishing caught several small perch and catfish. No walleyes or crappies to be found there. I talked with a couple of boaters that were getting off the lake and apparently some walleye were being caught right along the causeway on the northern side trolling hot-n-tots in 15 feet of water. It was very windy and mostly pontoons were left battling the waves when I left at 1PM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts