Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought i would give you guys an update on the crappies at pymy. I fished the tournament saturday the 5th with a buddy, we launched at 5:30 and headed north to the promise land in search of slabs- once we reached our destination, the action was fast and furious with no big fish at all to show for it. After an hour or so- we moved a little further back into the bay to fish stumps/trees/lilly pads- there we found a selection of alot better quality fish. At the end of the day we kept 48 crappie from the same area with around 20 being 3/4 lb or bigger. Our total weight for 5 fish was 5.8 lbs and our big fish was 1.4lbs.
First place in the tournament was awarded $900 and it took 7.35lbs, yes i said 7.35 pounds- that my friends is a really nice basket of crappies. You needed at least 6.5 lbs to even make the top 5. Talking to people at the weigh in- they were all in the same boat--they all caught alot of crappies- just had a hard time getting quality fish. Rumor has it the top few teams were all fishing south in deep water- anywhere from 18-22ft. I cannot confirm that at all, just what my ears heard at the scales. The guys fishing south all seemed to bring whites in, i caught 2 whites up north, the rest were blacks. 90% of my fish came on 1/32 oz hair jigs and a minnow- the rest were just plain minnow/slip bobber combo. There had to be at least 200 boats fishing off linesville- that place was a zoo. Im glad i snuck back in the bay and avoided all the mayhem.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks for the onfo, I'm always on the south , I'll have to try that for the crappies, caught a few eyes so far this year 6-8 FOW

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
thanks on the update i ws wondering how the crappie bite was there

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crappies are still on fire---i will be heading up next weekend if anyone is going up and is looking for an open seat- let me know- i will be fishing the same area as last.

G

·
guarantee that if the co-owners of steel valley tackle were fishing that tournament, things may have been different. those guys really know that north end.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rapman- any ideas on the names of the people. The tackle company sounds familiar, i am almost willing to bet that i heard it in discussions at the scales, not sure if thats just a good store to deal with ect, or if some of the people may of actually been there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts