close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pvt Pond This Morning

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Pharley, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Fished a private pond in Marion County this morning. Started off bass fishing, caught 2, 11" & 12" on jerkbaits. Then I went through a can of 25 waxworms in about 30 minutes....caught about 50 gills- no fisherman's exaggeration. A few nice ones 8-9". Then I caught a 3" bluegill, put him 2 1/2' under a bobber, and tossed him out. Next thing, not even a minute later, bobber goes down, and I could see if swimming off. Counted to 3, and set it. Ended up w/a 22", 6.2 lbs largemouth....what a monster. Was using 20/6 spiderline, and a medium 8-17lb rod, which snapped as I was pulling him out of the pond. Quite a thrill, as this is my largest bass ever.

2. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

nice fish, I caught a bass last year doing the same thing. Was bass fishing a pond and saw a guy doing that and figured I'd give in a try. Caught a 6.5 channel once as well like that. Kind of fun watching the little gill pull the bobber around.

BIll

3. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Nice job pharley, that sure is a nice bass, and sounds like a great day.

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Nice job on the bass and 'Gills Yes they do hit bluegill really well. To bad you didn't have your camera. Next time carry one with you, get one of thise throw away cameras just for that.

5. Great Job Pharley...i Did The Same Thing In A Pond Once...i Didnt Know A Largemouth Would Swallow A 5in. Bass Till I Tried....geta Hold Of Me If Ya Still Wanna Go To Lk. Erie.........

6. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Pharley

Now is certainly the best time to fish farm ponds.

I hope you haven't discovered some of my small water gems around La Rue ;)

Many people are surprised at the big fish these small waters can produce.

7. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Argee- I will PM you later. Right now my days off are Wed-Thur-Fri, so maybe a weekday trip if you're free.

Katfish- hopefully you can open up to a couple of those good ole LaRue holes. I located a few up near Caledonia, but have not worked out West past Big Island.

8. How exactly did you hook the bluegill as bait? Through the middle? At the tail?

9. I Usually Hooked The Gill Thru The Top Fin....then I Found Its Best To Use A Stinger Hook Also As The Bass Would Spit The Gill Out Once He Found Out He Was Coming To Me..... :)

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Nice catch! Fishing with gills under bobbers is one of my favorite ways to catch bass in farm ponds.

11. Nice job Pharley! That is one BEAUTY of a bass. :D

12. Nice suprise on the LM,isn't it great when they hit like that.