close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

puting in a light???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishingful, Apr 21, 2005.

1. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i have a friend that wants to put a light in their living room i have done this before but their was no drywall up when i did it...........what is the best way to do it???? the room is 12x20 or so and the light switch that is mounted on the wall controls a plug about 10 foot away and their is a bedroom above this room!!!!!!!!!! i have a snake and the tools but am not sure how to do it the best way (ez way ;) ) and if it is too much of a pain then how much do you think it would cost for a guy to come in and do it........thanks jim

2. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

If you are talking about a can light they make one that goes into exsting drywall. You can get one at lowes or home depot. They also make boxes for hanging lights called old work boxes that can be put up then just mount the light to that. cut small holes in the path from the switch to the area where the light will be run. fish it through with your snake and patch drywall. A little labor involved but the cost of an electrition to do it will be offset. hope this helps.

3. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

insted of light i think i should have said a light fan combo in the middle of the room i know i will need a box to mount it to should i just pull the switch and start the snake from their how will i get around the studs??????

4. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

no easy way around the studs... only way I know of is a hole on each side of the stud and then drill a hole through the stud.. run new through. alot of drywall patching but pretty easy otherwise.

5. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

The easiest way is low profile conduit ran on the outside of the drywall. After it is painted to match the ceiling/wall, its hardly noticable. Run it to a corner or down by the drapes. Just a thought!!!

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

OH modern technology has brought you an even easier way to do it and it is sweet. The remote control ceilling fan. lowes walmart have them price is not much different. and i believe not sure have got one in my house YET. But all you have to do is supply constant power to the fixture and everything is controlled by the remote. I plan to put one in bedroom 3speed fan control and light dimmer on it.