Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Bass-O-Matic '76
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be at Put-In-Bay this weekend, and wanted to do some shore fishing (I will be taking the ferry over to the island). Open to catching anything ...
Suggestions on best access points and lures?
Has anyone fished here recently (from shore) and is willing to give a report?
Thanks in advance!
Dan

·
Carp53.65
4,196 Posts
SE/E side....giant flat there-fish for channel cats at night. It's loaded if you can find access.

·
Registered
149 Posts
State park camp grounds has a little pier/dock there. Before you go over get some crayfish at one the tackle shops. Rig them Carolina style, or I have even used a bobber there. Bunch of small mouth around that pier

·
Registered
342 Posts
The bridge is usually the only sure thing for me there. I fish the bay side along the rocks and under the bridge. When the waters coming in it can get loaded with largemouth and big rock bass, but other fish come in there. Its before Stone Lab where terwilliger pond is. Never had much luck in the weedy lagoon pond.

·
Super Bass-O-Matic '76
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Hoping for a chance to get a line wet there this weekend!
Dan

·
Super Bass-O-Matic '76
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly, I did not have an opportunity while at P-I-B to cast a line out.

I did get to see the bridge next to Terwilliger Pond. It looked shallow in that area (both sides) - around 18-36 inches deep, with the pond side being VERY weedy.

Did not get to the State Park on the South Side.

I did get to go over to Stone Lab, however, and was able to talk to some of the fishery experts about:
1.) Algal Blooms - Most of the phosphorus runoff into the lake is caused by non-point sources (read: small farms, houses). The 2013 bloom was much smaller than 2011, and is starting into recession. Scott's Fertilizer is now voluntarily producing product with 0 phosphorus ... hopefully that is a big help in this fight.
2.) The Lake Erie Watersnake - It is now off the endangered species list. The comeback ironically is due to the fact that it's diet is now mostly made up of Goby (>96%).
3.) Invasive Species Management - Lot's of research going on in this area. Not just the potential Asian Carp threat, but also Goby's, Hydrilla, Zebra Mussels, Lampreys, etc.

Hope you find this info. as interesting as I did.
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts