Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Im Old Gregg!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm looking to turn my room into sort of a lodge style room and so I'm wanting to buy mounted fish and animals. I don't keep fish and I don't hunt so I am looking to buy them. Is this something where I'm going to have to rummage through garage sales or are there places that actually sell this stuff? I live in the Dayton area.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I could be mistaken....but seems I advertized some mounted fish some years back and was told that it was....well..kinda illegal to sell them? Not sure why exactly. I mean what does one do with them when you are either tired of looking at them or say, moving, and have no place to hang them up???

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been to public auctions in Pa. held by licensed auctioneers and they always made it clear you were bidding on the board they were mounted on and not the animals. Perhaps a legal way to circumvent the law?

I'm not sure where you live but I have seen some at the Rogers Ohio flea market in the past but its hit or miss when they are there.

·
I am what I eat.
1,632 Posts
http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-19

1501:31-19-01 Wild animal importing, exporting, selling and possession regulations.

(C) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell any wild bird or wild quadruped unless permitted by this rule, other wildlife orders, or the Revised Code.

The above is from the Ohio Revised Code. I don't think there is any exemption for taxidermy, although, I see mounts for sale on Craigslist from time to time. I'd call the Division of Wildlife to be sure.

Have you thought about the reproductions from places like Bass Pro?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1&catalogId=10051&appID=39&template=index.cfm

·
Im Old Gregg!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. It never even occurred to me that it might not be legal to buy them secondhand. I guess it makes sense though, how would DNR know if you killed it or not.

I checked the bass pro link but it seems like they only do custom creations. I may go that route but it's not what I was planning.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
189 Posts
Taxidermy.net has a forum for wanted and for sale items that you could check out. Alot of the items listed are from taxidermists who were stuck with mounts they did and never got paid for. The taxidermist that does all my work did a muskie a few years back that a guy never paid him to start. His only reason for doing the fish was because he didn't feel it was right to just throw a trophy fish out in the trash. You may want to check with some local taxidermists to see what they have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.