close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

purchasing from OGF members

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XpressDave, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I have a question to any OGF member...How do you handle not receiving your merchandise that you purchased via OGF forum from an OGF member? How long is cosidered long enough to wait after the OGF members says he received your payment (either the check has cleared or you sent a money order)? I'm aware of the trader ratings now and I think they'll be a good source of informtion later on down the road but these are just a few pressing questions I have. Sometimes, I'm at fault for not being patient enough. Thanks!

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I had the same issue with a guy. Said he'd send payment and I never got it after three weeks.

If I don't receive payment in 5-7 business days I send the guy a reminder and that he now was 3-5 business days to send payment or arrange payment. If, after that period of time has expired I send him an e-mail explaining what I am going to do and why. The guy got 2 chances to make payment in a reasonable amount of time. i then relisted the item and promptly sold it and received payment. I left a negative trader rating for the guy who failed to arrange payment.

I don't know what else you can do. I won't be accepting any money from the member in the future. :(

3. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Dave,
    Have you attempted to contact the seller directly? Perhaps he has had some type of unexpected situation come up?

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Dave,

It really all depends on what you guys have pre-arranged. If the deal was to have the product shipped within a specified time period and the other member defaults on that, then I wouldn't consider that being impatient at all.

Me personally, and I don't speak for anyone else but myself. I usually start gettin ancy after a month of not getting the product, or 2 weeks of non-communication.

Hit them with a negative review if it persists...that will prevent someone else from going through the same thing.

5. Reel Lady...I did contact him via email a couple of times-once to make sure he received the payment. He said he would email me when he mailed the goods and I never heard anything so I sent him another email and he said he would mail them "either tomorrow or Thursday". I never reveived anything then I sent another email and he said he just got back into town (had to leave for an emergency) and he would mail them the next day. Still nothing made it to me. I then emailed him a couple more times wanting to know what the heck was going on....no response.

6. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Personally, and I'm speaking for myself ONLY. As long as I have communication from the seller I work with them on waiting the time out. If and when they stop replying I go negative. To me there is no excuse for not replying when you know someone is already upset at not getting their goods. If you are concerned about your rating you will reply to and not ignore email!

Gene

7. I've had the same problems purchasing from a member on OGF. To me it's just an all around bad deal. I pay for something then wait weeks. If this were Ebay it would be totally unacceptable but since it's not there is more trust involved. I've learned my lesson I guess and will not buy stuff from this certain person again.

If you pay electronically they should make it a point to send you the stuff you payed for within a day or two and since we all pretty much live in Ohio you should receive it within 5 days or so.

This is all just my opinion...

8. I would think that we all live by a show of good conduct on this site. If you buy or sell on this site then you should be prompt to do what you said you would do. A person is only as good as his or her word. Maybe a rule should be made that if dont send merchandise to the purchaser, you are removed from this site.

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

A couple of things here:

1.) Use the trader rating system. If the person in question does not have any feedback here, ask if they have ebay feedback.
    2.) Always use Paypal when possible. It offers you a small degree of protection.
    3.) Read our Marketplace Rules.
    4.) If you are a victim of a bad deal, notify one of the moderators here. We will investigate the matter and attempt to contact the buyer/seller. If warranted, they will be added to a 'do not trade' list that will be sticky at the top of the Merchandise forum.

Above all, try to resolve this with the seller. Thank you.

10. Sounds as if you got took on your item.
    If you sent personal check you can try to recover your money by contacting your bank. maybe they can help.
    If you send Money Order, there is very little you can do once he has cashed it.
    if he says he sent the item, ask him to show proff that it was sent. post Office, UPS and such always give a reciept with day and time of dropoff.
    I would never renig on a deal I made with a buyer, It is bad for bussness and can ruin a guy in a short period of time.
    Give him 3 weeks to get the item to you. If he dont come up with the goods or return your money, do as Roger says, If you not satified with the service, let him know.
    I am proud to have a POSITIVE EBAY FEEDBACK OF 60 at EBAY with a rating of 100%. Look if you like. I am "flockknocker123" at EBAY.
    I do not screw the guy who trust my word in an agreement.

11. First, I would try to contact the person via PM. I would give them no more than three days to answer. Without contact from them, I would then do a reverse look up on their address, and call them.

Finally, If they do not send the merchandise, contact the authorities! They have committed mail fraud which is a Federal offense.

Don't just write it off as a loss. Every time that someone gets the shaft, it makes it more difficult for the honest buyers/sellers. We should be able to trust our fellow OGF members!

I just wanted to add this, I have had nothing but good experiences with both buying and selling on this board. Not only did I get a good deal on some rods, I was able to sell some items that I no longer needed, and I also got to meet some great people. I think that your issue is the exception on this site, and certainly not the rule!

12. Skooky

Skooky Fish Wizard

If you sent payment with the USPS you may be able to file mail fraud charges against the seller. This is something he(seller) should want to avoid at all costs. There are some mighty hefty fines/penalties or jail time if convicted. you can find more info about mail fraud at U.S. Postal Inspection Service

It's always good to get phone numbers as a way to track down a person in case a deal goes bad over the internet. Contact local police where you live and in the town where the seller lives and file a report.

13. I am an old fart, and I refuse to let anbody screw over me. Not the federal govt., not the state, and certainly not an individual. File a report.

14. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Call his local police dept., and file a complaint over the phone. You obviously have his address. They will go to his house, and inform him of the complaint. This usually stirs thing up enough to get him off his butt. If you get no results going that route, file a mail fraud complaint against him.

15. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Keep the staff here updated on this.
    If you dont recieve your goods we will take action,as Roger outlined earlier in the rules.

16. Its a shame a good faith deal on this site has gone bad... :(
    Do not let this one instance relflect on us all here as a whole...
    Your last course of action, when you've resolved this situation one way or another, is post the persons info here:
    real name
    username
    city
    no address or phone numbers
    at the least along with the 'do not trade' rating we'll know to simply taboo this person and let him leave here also :mad: