Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a new puppy on friday, a brittany. the breeder gave me some food to get me by for the next couple days but i need to get some food.

i dont mind spending a little more for quality food if it is worth it. i was thinkin about getting iams but heard some bad things about it..? im sure that if you research dog food that you will find something bad about every brand

Just curious to see what you guys use and or reccomend. Its been 18 years since i had a pup and we just bought "cheap" food for her.

My buddy told me to get, if i remember correctly, natures select. Its $60 a bag, and says that his golden retriever poops less, sheds less, and has a nicer coat.

ANy advice would be appreciated!!

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
If its Natures Select(Dry), it's pretty good but we use Taste of the Wild.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Taste of the Wild. A few different mixes to pick from. My dogs eat better than I do. We buy it at Jacks Pet stores where every 13th bag is FREE. Here's a list of ingredients of the formula we use.

Protein: 32% Minimum, Fat: 18% Minimum
Calcium: 2.1%, as-fed; Phosphorus: 1.4%, as-fed
Calories: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
Available in 5lb, 15lb and 30lb bags.
Ingredients:
Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, egg product, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, potato protein, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product,dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Thats right, BISON is the main ingredient. Not bison MEAL or by-products. Cuts of Bison Lol. Cleared up a life of hotspots and itchy skin on one of my dogs. Both coats look amazing, the dogs love it, and if the crap ever hits the fan, I'd probably eat it also LOL. Theres a couple different websites that independently evaluate pet foods. There are a few that are very highly regarded, this being one of them. There are quite a few other options though.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im def going to check into that! i went to the pet store friday before we picked her up and saw that on the shelves. there is just to many to choose from, so ill look more into that!

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
What does your Vet recommend??? That's what I would go with.

Somebody will be along to tell you whatever brand you choose is poison, made in China, causes cancer in Hindu babies, etc...

We've been feeding our 11 month old Lab Diamond brand food from Orscheln's farm store. 'Bout $30.00 per 40 lb bag...

It's about time to switch her to the adult stuff.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havent made it into a vet yet. the one close to me is on a 3 month wait, so i havent had a chance to get to another vet yet. i will def ask them when i get in there. im not due to go until the 23rd so i wont be to a vet until then

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
What does your Vet recommend??? That's what I would go with.

Somebody will be along to tell you whatever brand you choose is poison, made in China, causes cancer in Hindu babies, etc...

We've been feeding our 11 month old Lab Diamond brand food from Orscheln's farm store. 'Bout $30.00 per 40 lb bag...

It's about time to switch her to the adult stuff.
Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond I believe. Good stuff! Both made in the USA.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
I bought a pekinese puppy a few yrs ago and the breeder had them on eukanuba
While not terrible, its not that great. From pet food advisor:

The second ingredient includes chicken by-product meal, a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It’s made from what’s left of a slaughtered chicken after all the prime cuts have been removed.

In a nutshell, chicken by-products are those unsavory leftovers usually considered “unfit for human consumption”.

In addition to organs (the nourishing part), this stuff can contain almost anything — feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs — anything except quality skeletal muscle (real meat).

On the brighter side, by-product meals are meat concentrates and contain nearly 300% more protein than fresh chicken.
I didn't quote the rest but they give Eukanuba dry 3 of 5 stars.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
After checking out those dog food analysis sites several years ago, I settled on Diamond "naturals" in lamb & rice formula. Dog loves it. Seemed like the most "bang for your buck" when it comes to dog foods. She does get a fried egg about every morning too :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After checking out those dog food analysis sites several years ago, I settled on Diamond "naturals" in lamb & rice formula. Dog loves it. Seemed like the most "bang for your buck" when it comes to dog foods. She does get a fried egg about every morning too :)
i was thinking about giving her an egg in the mornings too, not every morning tho. will that make her beg for human food? or only if i give it to her while shes not eating?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i do blue buffalo for my running walker/spring mix pup. growing up i did cheap stuff for my lab and she didnt have a very shiny or soft coat. my walker pup has the shiniest softest coat of all the dogs i see/play with. also has the least dandruff. not sure if thats from the food or her breed, but the stuff isnt cheap. vet recommends science diet. the blue buffalo grades out really well on the dog food adviser website as well

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
i was thinking about giving her an egg in the mornings too, not every morning tho. will that make her beg for human food? or only if i give it to her while shes not eating?
I suppose if you fed it to her from the table by the forkful, she might beg :)

I've never had a problem with begging though. Some say raw egg is better but mine seems to prefer just the way I like 'em.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts