close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Punderson Trout Release

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Big Daddy, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ODNR sent me this. Sounds like they're putting some PIGS in there AGAIN this year! Directions to Punderson are on the State Parks website.

NEARLY 700 TROUT TO BE RELEASED AT PUNDERSON LAKE

Release to take place November 23rd, 2004

AKRON, OH- To observe a local pre-Thanksgiving tradition, Punderson Lake in Geauga County will be stocked with approximately 650 catchable rainbow trout on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

According to Phil Hillman, northeast Ohio’s Fish Management Supervisor for the ODNR Division of Wildlife, “these trout are excess breeders from the London State Fish Hatchery.”

The trout range from about 16 to 28 inches long and weigh two to ten pounds. They are expected to arrive from the hatchery early in the afternoon on the 23rd..

Hillman explains that rainbow trout typically do not reproduce naturally in Ohio. “Rainbow trout are a cold water species that in nature spawn in moving water over gravel or cobble substrate. In Ohio, there are few streams that support natural reproduction and no lakes, so the ODNR Division of Wildlife raises and stocks trout in many Ohio waters. In most lakes trout that are stocked usually don’t survive the winter (if stocked in the fall) or the summer (for spring-stocked trout). Punderson Lake is an exception, however. Trout that have not been captured by anglers in this lake have been known to survive throughout the year, which is quite unusual.”

Fishing at Punderson Lake is open to people of all ages. The daily bag limit is five trout per angler with no size limits. For anglers ages 16 and older, an Ohio fishing license is required and can be purchased at one of many area license dealers or the Wildlife District Three office. The annual resident license cost $19.00. A one-day fishing license costs $11.00. Please be aware that Punderson Lake allows electric motors only for boating anglers.

2. How long are these trout catchable in there? I can see 700 trout in that lake being caught pretty quickly.

3. Not sure. Just have to go find out.

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

cool.....thanks for posting BD

5. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Are they best caught the day of the release? Or best the following days after?

I might take my little girl up there.

6. doug sent you a private message i will be there to catch them biggins

7. i would like to go too but don t know anything about the lake ....where to go shore bound with limited walking....husk ill be driving if any body wants to go im in navarre.

8. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I'm not sure how far into the year they do this, but I know that during the warmer months, they do rent small boats with electric motors on them.
    Marcia

9. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

it is crazy up their the day they put them in guys casting at the tube they put them in with sholder to sholder and lots of tangles i have never seen so many bobers in the water at one time if you do get one on it will catch at least 3 lines if you are luckey ................this time of year the boats are put away...........last time i fished it was 3 years ago and that was the last my buddy and i had to take turns fishing because their was only one spot i would bait up and fish till i lost my bait or get tangled and then he would slide in and fish till the same thing happened i think the day after would be better to go up but i dont like trout that much to put up with all the crap that goes on up their................if you are going to launch a boat the guys that are fishing on the ramp wont move for you and the small area that you go through to get to the lake has so many lines in it expect to get line around your trolling mota .........................if you cant tell i have had a bad time up their lots of crap going on.................jim

10. hardwaterfan

hey husk try the beach area after a few days. (after they get a chance to spread out) they cruise by there. you will have to walk down some steps from the lot but its not too far. Ive never fished by the boat ramp area.

11. Hardwater,

How do you get to Punderson from Canton? Thanks in advance.

12. hardwaterfan

77 north to 8 north to 271 north to Chagrin east to Woodland east to Kinsman east.

(another way to go is 44 north. (all the way....thats simple but i dont know what kind of road 44 is down there))

that will take you right to it. The park is bordered by two main roads 87 and 44.

look at the three maps im going to upload to make sure you know exactly where you need to go.

Kinsman = 87
    Ravenna = 44

Attached Files:

13. hardwaterfan

heres a close up.

the boat launch is at the northernmost end of the lake. the beach is in the middle of the map on the west side of the lake (straight west from the deep hole in the middle of the lake)

Attached Files:

14. hardwaterfan

i think the above map is available on this site on the home page, take a look before heading up.

this last map is a part of a road map. youll notice that chagrin, woodland, and kinsman almost look like one long road.

good luck if you go.

Attached Files:

15. Dress in your fishing best. I'll be there with camera in tow to shoot a story for the news. I may even bring a fishing pole to do some "field research". LOL.

See you tomorrow.

16. Must be nice to fish on the job :)

17. Ill be there early wednesday morning with my boat....

18. How were the breeders biting today?

19. I saw two small fish caught. LOTS of BIG goldens were released. 7-10lb range.

Combining both release spots, there were about 200 people there fishing.

I don't know, didn't seem like much of a challenge. If it were me, I'd somehow close the lake for a day or two to let the fish get settled. But, hey, they're hatchery fish and that's what they're there for, right?

Anyway, 628 trout between 2 and 10lb were released. There was a little story on the news and to the two guys who said they were skipping work to be there, I didn't use you in the story. LOL.

I took a couple pix and I'll post them when I get home from work.