Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
EdSak
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been noticing lots of salmon are already running in the salmon river this week. Does this mean the run is on, or is this going to slow down with the water temps getting higher because the weather is warming up? I took the first week of October off for the salmon run, hope I'm not too late.

Sent from my HTC One X using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
October will have more kings and lots of steelhead. Typically the salmon do start running right before labor day so dont panic.

·
EdSak
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mostly wade, some shore. Using my new Okuma SLV 8/9 wt fly reel with a 9' 6" fly rod.

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
Lots of good public access on the river. Black hole and Douglaston is where you want to be on weekends. If you are there during the week scout area out the nite before and then get in there early. PM me if u need more info

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dec.ny.gov/images/fish_marine_images/r7salrpf.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/39992.html&h=600&w=776&sz=80&tbnid=mvUYe3gGbnSV_M:&tbnh=79&tbnw=102&zoom=1&usg=__4Sdg7TrVO4bY5w1JwBAk3tFG1Ng=&docid=2jq4b3APK804lM&sa=X&ei=jAIVUtbwL8eq2QW51YDoDQ&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAA&dur=1234

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The Salmon start running in late August you should be fine, Now late October and November is a little late and the fish you do catch are black.

·
EdSak
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're going to be fishing some new tribs this year, I love fishing the salmon river, but it just gets too crowded during the weekend, we'll fish the salmon river during the week but not on the weekends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will be going up October 10-15 and will be all over the river only spending time where we can find fish from Douglaston all the way past the hatchery above Altmar. looking forward to firing up the smoker.

·
EdSak
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm headed up October 1-6, I've seen lots of fish caught but they have been dying because the water temp has risen in the river the last few days.....once it cools and stays cool the masses will run.

·
HookoneforTheGipper
46 Posts
yo, fish-on, who took that picture of you with that king? looks so professional, must have been the 1 guy who didn't fall in the river

·
EdSak
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
N.E NEW YORK had a frost last night...should spark the big run.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The five in our group got 42 in three days 802lbs. Had a great time.

Huge fish everywhere! The only crappy thing was the drag blew out on my 2 year old Pflueger Trion that I have only used a total of like six times

1 - 20 of 22 Posts