close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Protecting fish during photographs.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by doegirl, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Is there something I could put down on the bank/rocks when I want to lay a fish on the ground to take a picture? I've heard there's some kind of soft netting I could get. I'm getting a bit concerned with fish flopping around ontop of rocks scraping slime off their bodies. I keep the fish out of the water maybe a maximum of 15-20seconds for a quick snapshot, but the less harm I inflict the better. Thanks in advance....

2. easternflyfisher

easternflyfisher BassHaveOvertaken

just lip the fish. its bad to lay them on the ground period, grass is a bit better, but not much.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

make a post in the carp section, they have it down to a science, they use special release mats for their fish...

4. That works with small fish that fit into the entire picture, anything with size I have to stand back to take the picture. ;) I usually fish alone, so generally there's no one around to snap a picture for me.

5. easternflyfisher

easternflyfisher BassHaveOvertaken

if you are using a digital camera, some of them have timers. its i think a 10 second timer i think on most cameras. i need to start using this feature to get my face in the picture :)

6. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Thats my problem also. Usually fish alone and have no one to take photos. I have caught some really nice fish and only have the two "M,s" to show, Measurements and Memorys.
    Good luck Doegirl

7. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Most of us carpers have followed our carping brothers from over-seas and started using these landing mats/unhooking mats to protect the fish for a safe catch/photo/release.

You can go to www.wackerbaits.com look in the TACKLE section under "Nets, Mats & Weigh Slings" to find this one...

[​IMG]

Details:

Fox Stalker Unhooking Mat:
    • Ultra soft fish friendly padding.
    • Slippery finish to prevent mucus loss
    • Carry handles
    • Velcro closures on both ends
    • Can be used as a weigh sling also.
    • 23" x 37" padded area
    • rolls up for transportation
    Cost $36.49(imported from the UK)

Also a digital camera with a timmer is a must for fishing alone.

Good luck,
    Scott