close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Props and rants...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by discgolfer, Oct 23, 2004.

1. first, i'd like to acknowledge some great customer service from Cabela's. my electric smoker went out last month. the heating element control unit melted through and shorted :eek: i called and explained that i received it as a christmas present last year, so i didn't have a receipt. i boxed up the entire smoker and they had ups do their thing. 2 weeks later my ups driver brought me a brand new smoker. i've heard cabela's had great customer service-now i've experienced it. nice job.

now to the rant. i had roadrunner installed last wednesday. for most of the weekend, my cable modem light was off or blinking, meaning no internet access. cut out of work 4 1/2 hours early on monday for my "2-4" appointment with the cable guy. dude shows at 5:30...changes all of the connectors in my house, plus a splitter...complaining that the install guy should have done this before anything else. he then inspects the cable from the pole to the house and says it needs replaced. i am scheduled for a 6-8pm on thursday.

8:30 pm thursday(pitch dark outside) :mad: liquid tension has been here heckling me cuz cable guy still has'nt shown. so i call time warner. i am told the installer was here at 8pm, rang the doorbell (i'd hear it), called my cellphone (on my hip), and left something on my door (nothing-i checked while i was on the phone with them). :mad: :mad: :confused: i told her the guy is full of crap. i am scheduled for a 2-4 slot today.

as i sit here at 7:15pm-there is still no sign of anyone even remotely thinking about changing my line. i called time warner 3 hours ago. was told that the installer would call me in a few minutes with an eta here. i've heard nothing. i've been given a $20 credit forthe 3 times they've been late or noshows in the last 8 days. if you ask me, the credit should escalate each time.

i know that in my place of work-customer service is #1. without customers, you have nothing. we lose customers if we don't deliver the goods, and sometimes we only get 1 chance. i've seen employees lose their jobs for doing their best at sales prevention. i think the problem is-the cable company doesnt have much competition to worry about, so their customers can be treated like crap.

i'm done now. thanks for the outlet. think i'm gonna go write the editor of the canton repository now.

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I used to be a subcontractor for Time Warner years ago. I am a Directv and Dish Net subcontractor now.

The service and treatment you are receiving now is a direct result of the cable company cutting costs and paying their independent subs virtually nothing anymore. They refuse to spend the $$ to hire permanents as well. The people they have in the offices and on the phones, reflect how much money they are paying their employees there too.

Satellite is cheaper and many people are going that direction, so cable loses customers..and revenue. Cable's overhead is tremendous. They have to constantly upkeep the lines going up and down every street, and underground to developments. This is very expensive. These costs don't change, and actually are getting more expensive as new developments open up.

These costs must be represented in the price. The more people that leave cable, the less revenue. Less revenue = a price increase and pay cuts to employees. The higher the price goes, the more people that will leave and go to Satellite. I can personally tell you that the number of people that have satellite now has DOUBLED in the past year and a half, two years. I bet 20% or more of everyone that pays for TV has satellite now, and is growing everyday.

Unfortunately, cable is caught in a vicious cycle that it cannot escape from, I believe. That is why they are offering many new products such as... On Demand, DVRs, digital phone, and internet options. They are trying to diversify to keep business. But it won't work. I bet we will start to see the demise of some of the nation's cable companies by the end of this decade. You watch. They will start to go out of business and declare bankrupcy etc.

It unfortunately will be a tragedy as many will lose their jobs. But new ones will be created elsewhere, I guess. But if you noticed the steady decline in quality and value of the service and product of cable, you should see the writing on the wall. That is one of the many reasons I left subbing for Time Warner. I got tired of everyone taking their frustrations with the whole process, on me...as well as noticing the "other option" was a growing business with a great future. So I left.... :) Best decision I ever made. :D

Sorry you are having problems. I wonder what the solution could be??? :confused: :rolleyes:

3. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Total joke. I posted about Warner this summer and about got in too deep!!LOL. They have THE absolute worst customer service barr none!!! Turned out after 3 months of problems the cable lines in the entire neighborhood was garbage. Had service goofs showing up without ladders! LOL Fortunatley one of the boobs that worked at Warner slipped up and gave me a techs cell# and I got him to give me a supervisors # that actually gave a crap and finally got things fixed. I still never recieved any credit for the sorry service.Lost a ton of business on ebay too. Good luck. RAIDER<><>

4. as LakeRaidersaid dont talk to the first boob that picks up the phone when u have to call back more than once get paper and ink pin to so u can write down names then if u have to call back that makes it evan better when u say let me talk to your bosses boss

5. I have roadrunner through Insight and have problems with my internet connection everytime I try and use it. I called and got some guy that probably isn't even here in the USA and he pretty much told me I was an idiot and didn't know what I was doing. Then when I did what he told me to do the stupid thing still didn't work. I'm starting to think that it's not worth the money I pay every month for it. It worked great for about 2 months and then it started to screw up.

6. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Don't know if they are in your area yet but give WideOpenWest a check. Left Time Warner a while a go and will never go back, they couldn't even cancel my acount correctly. Haven't had anywhere near the problems with my cable since I made the change, use to have schduled and unscheduled maint with my cable modem all the time, not anymore. Customer support has been a lot better since I have made the move, just about everybody at my work uses them anymore and I haven't heard very many complaints. Plus thier basic cable includes SpeedVision and OLN which is a big plus for me.

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I agree, give WOW a try in the COlumbus area. It is MUCH cheaper and once installed I have had NO ISSUES what-so-ever. Time Warner is the biggest rip-off for cable service I have ever seen in my life. The cost simply cannot be justified.

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That's why I left TW years ago and went to satellite. The people are getting paid less and the top suits are taking home 6 and 7 figure bonus and salary.
    You think they really care?
    They are riding the wave laughing all the way to the bank.

9. bummer. just checked the WOW site-not available in my area. a supervisor called me at 9pm saturday. system was down, he couldnt look at any files or whatnot...would call me on sunday. still had not heard anything today so i called his # and only got a voicemail. this is nuts. seriously thinking dsl and sattelite tv. also considering pulling a t.o. and yank his cable out of the wall.

10. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

get your line changed yet? heh....

dude, i dont think you'd have to be there, to get your outside line changed out.... i'd call them back and tell them to just come out... do the outside line already. maybe make a mark on the line with a sharpie near your junction box so you can tell if its been changed. i'd just call them everyday and pester. i dont see what it matters if there "systems" down to swap an outside line out...... no sense to me.... :confused:

11. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I installed roadrunner for a sub contracting company long ago when it first came out. It sucked then, it sux now. Went throught the same stuff you describe. Went with a DSL provider and never looked back. As far as the word customer service with Time Warner Cable, that word isn't in their vocabulary.

flash--------------------------------------out