Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so I went ahead and bought that prop I posted about a couple of days ago...........so here's my question.

I messed up when I wrote the wrong number down - it's a 13x19 and I bought a 14x17.

What effect will this have on my performance? Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this increase my rpm's by about 200?? I'm running right around 5,100 - 5,300 now.......so this'll push it up to 5,300-5,500.......which is optimal range, right??

I shouldn't have a problem - or am I??

Thanks!!

·
Buckeye-Basser
1,589 Posts
14" might not clear the cavitation plate or the torque tab if the old one was 13". Dropping the pitch from 19 to 17 should give approx. 250 more rpm. Check your owners manual for rpm operating range. Prolonged use out of this range (higher or lower) might contribute to problems in the future.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gave it a few spins and the new prop clears the cavitation plate with about 1/4-1/2" to spare.......

I thought I'd get more rpm's out of it........don't have owners manual (1983) but I called Maston's marine last year and they told me optimum rpm range should be around 5,200-5,400........so I should be right in there!

I can't wait to try it out this weekend!!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
hope it works out...i tryed the same swap years ago...got the rpm;s up but only half the speed???:confused:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Your top end speed will be lower with a lower pitch prop. I hope you didn't think more rpm = more speed.

·
Buckeye-Basser
1,589 Posts
Theory states that the pitch of the prop is how far in inches it travels every revolution. You'll be spinning the smaller pitch prop faster. Speed shouldn't change much at all. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope you didn't think more rpm = more speed.

The thing is that I didn't buy this prop on purpose, it was sort of an "accident". About a year ago, I called my local marine repair shop and asked what prop should be on my motor/boat. they told me 14x17 and I should be running between like 5,100 and 5,400 rpm's. Well, I wrote that number down (14x17) then I saw this prop shipped from N.C. for $50 and jumped all over it.

Well, when I pulled my prop off I got curious and scrubbed all the crap off around the ring and saw my old one was a 13x19. That's how it happened.

Also, I thought my old prop was an alum prop - WRONG. It's stainless - but it's pretty banged up, so it'll be my spare until I can get it reworked.

Does this clear it up for you guys so you don't think I'm a complete moron?? HAHA!!!!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way - I'll be out on Salt Fork early tomorrow morning and I can't wait to OPEN HER UP and see what she does! Hopefully I don't blow the motor and need a tow in.......HAHA.......kidding.

Can't wait to fly across the water down there......it's like GLASS that early in the morning.

Fly across the water - HAHA - yeah, doing about 45mph. Man I need a bigger/faster boat!

·
TeamOGF
7,005 Posts
Skarfer, what engine do you have?
My Johnson 70 takes a 14X17, and is what I have on it. I've been looking for another one too. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts