close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

proof that saugeyes reproduce

Discussion in 'Walleye & Saugeye Discussions' started by pizza, May 5, 2008.

1. pizza

pizza

while it is known that saugeyes can and do reproduce, I caught what I believe is proof on Sunday while fishing Griggs. I caught a cigar 8" saugeye. Seeing as how saugeyes haven't been stocked in the scioto river system in years and the fact that they grow to over 8" in a year, I offer this as proof that saugeyes are reproducing. In each of the last 3 years, I've also caught at least 1 or 2 dink eyes in the 6-9" range in the Scioto system(Griggs/Oshay reservoirs).

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i hate to rain on your parade,but they do still stock griggs and o'shay;)
    that dink you caught is from last year's stocking.
    i'm not denying the fact that they can reproduce in isolated cases,but the ones you catch are almost definitely stocked fish.

3. pizza

pizza

my bad, I didn't think that Griggs or Oshay had been stocked with saugeyes in like 5+ years.

I'm not sure how many times a year they typically stock saugeyes, but according to this, they do not appear to have been stocked in June of 07.

"Saugeye were stocked in a number of popular fishing spots, including Alum Creek Reservoir, Hoover Reservoir, Deer Creek Lake, Buckeye Lake, and Indian Lake in central Ohio."

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/news/jun07/0618stocking/tabid/18438/Default.aspx

I am very interested in #'s of eyes stocked in Griggs or Oshay in any of the last 5 years. Not doubting you, just curious.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

saugeyes are generally stocked in the spring,and were stocked last year at o'shay and griggs.they just don't get the concentrations of hoover,indian and others,but do get stocked yearly.i'm thinking around 100 or so per acre if memory serves me right.

5. Seems as though the eye fishing in the lakes and tailwaters around here (Alum, Hoover, O'shay and Delaware) is not near as good currently in any of the lakes compared to a few years ago. I know they stock O'shay and Delaware at reduced numbers compared to past years and that they still stock Hoover and Alum at high rates but the fishing has been off in all of them the last couple of years. We still can have the occaisional decent day but it's not like those years where you caught numbers of fish almost every time you went. I do have high hopes for Alum this year based on the number of small eyes I caught in there last year but this years early spring deep water jig bite was way off compared to past years.
    Or am I quilty of remembering the good days and forgetting the bad days?

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

not at all.saugeye survival depends on key factors,and those can change from year to year.among them are plankton abundance at time of stocking,shad hatch following,predation and possibly weather conditions.
    hoover for eample just had a couple recent years of poor survival,resulting in low numbers of those year class in subsequent years.not to worry........yhe good days wil return:)

but so will the bad at some point;)

7. Here you go pizza.
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=83130
    Thought for sure misfit would remember that thread :confused:. Then I realized it was originally posted long before his last nap :p ;).

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

actually i did remember that being posted,but was ready for another nap,and forgot about it when i woke up:p :D
    maybe i should add it to my favorites list.i might possibly maybe almost remember next time it comes up:rolleyes:

9. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Saugeye will back cross with Walleyes and produce other Saugeye. Got this from Phil Hillman District three Fish Management Supervisor for the ODNR.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that is a known fact and is not being disputed here.
    the only thing questioned was how the small fish got there.that was answered by the fact that they were stocked saugeyes,and the likelyhood of natural reproduction was highly unlikely.......which it is;)

besides,there are no walleyes there to breed with,and that is not the only way they could reproduce;)

11. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

Those small saugeyes that you've been catching could very well actually be sauger instead. Sauger are native to the Scioto and many other rivers and streams I believe.

12. pizza

pizza

I see that 85,000 fingerlings were stocked at Griggs and 19,000 at O'Shay on 5/24/07. Thanks for posting that. I caught two more today, both about 11". Wonder if they were last years fingerlings? I also caught a 14" eye in the Olentangy in Worthington last week. Only my second eye from the tangy.

13. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

I have caught quite a few little ones I assume were saugeye on GMR in Troy area and always wondered about how they got there. Is it possible they are washing 60 miles downstream from Indian Lake in first year after being stocked?

14. pizza

pizza

That is probably the case. 60 miles over 365 days averages out to about 1/6 mile per day.

15. i recently found out that saugeye are 100% fertile. they can backcross or have viable young themselves.(the resource was excellent otherwise i would not have believed him) he also said that you should not worry about the genetic stock of walleye or sauger because saugeye even though they are fertile, lack the gene that imprints on spawning grounds, also they are stocked so there is nothing to imprint. i had always heard that they had about a 15% fertility rate so this is news! furthermore, before someone flips that they are stocking fertile hybrids, saugeye naturaly occur in places where both sauger and walleye coexist. the world record was a naturaly spawned fish, and studies done on the illinios river show that saugeye make 4.1% of the natural population. anyway you are right they can spawn

16. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

100% fertile? really? does this mean there is natural reproduction going on in IL, buckeye, alum, hoover, etc?

could you please explain what you mean by "lacking the gene that imprints on spawning grounds" ?

17. This comes up over and over, people always want to believe that saugeye are reproducing. Under perfect conditions reproduction could occur in a small percent of the population. And I could win the lottery.

18. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

[​IMG]

life will find a way ;)

seriously though, I am still curious about the comment that saugeye are 100% fertile. as well as this comment, "lacking the gene that imprints on spawning grounds"

???

19. This subject has been discussed on this forum before. The following thread contains an informative response from the ODNR.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=36827

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the high numbers of saugeye in the GMR cannot be explained by fish left over from old stockings or by saugeyes escaping from Indian Lake. I could be wrong, but I think they will someday conclude that the GMR contains a significant population of reproducing saugeye.