Projects "Awaiting Ice Formation "

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by papaperch, Jan 2, 2009.

1. tying jigs for ice fishing and open water. 1/32 1/64 1/80 and 1/100.

Also custom building super ultralight rod to work these things. Using a 6'-6" fly rod 2 weight blank from Rainshadow for the spinning rod. Also using a 3/4 inch diameter Tennessee handle to help keep weight down. Will post pic of it when I finish deciding just how wild and pretty I 'm gonna go with this.

Attached Files:

2. those jigs are looking nice!!!!

3. peon

peon account delete

those would be great under the ice

4. Nice looking jigs...papaperch..If they catch as good as they look ...you are in business...C.L...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

sweet! those look awesome. nice close-up shots.

6. tomb

tomb Tom B.

You mentioned being outfished by artificials in another post. Are these jigs tied in the same style as the one's you were outfished by?

Nice looking jigs either way.

7. Yes same . but the size is whats critical. This guy never uses over 1/32 oz jig. He used primarily 1/64 oz on that day when he spanked me. He also uses 1/100 oz on days when they were super picky. This is strictly a panfish system working equally well on crappie, perch and bluegill.

8. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Thanks for the info.

These actually work best untipped w/ bait? Fish preferred them jigged or held still?

Where did you buy your jigheads? Did you paint them yourself?

9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i bet white head/white hair/red eyes would be killer.

10. Tomb- his guy uses nothing other than the jig. Yes I make and paint my own jig heads.

HWF- I think I got any color combo ( within reason ) tied up already. Also on the latest ones I have ben adding 4 or five strands of rubber. In the skirt.

To all- this is really an intriguing hobby and has allowed me to maintain my sanity waiting on the stupid ice. Its not all that hard and there are scads of videos on the internet explaining how. Just google " tying jig heads ".

11. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Jigheads poured from scratch too! Very cool.

12. papaperch, i thought that you said that you were a Rookie at this jig tying thing, but yours look nice and neat, just like you have been doing this a long time. NICE JIGS

13. Thanks for the compliment Mike but I are a rookie at this. Will post a few more pics I have added marabou to my latest concoctions. Even the wife got into the spirit and hand picked a color combo to tie a few for her.
    What has surprised me is how fascinating it is to dream up your own color schemes. Right now I am busy building my own custom rod for using these jigs.