close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problems with outboard

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bobby, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Dday and I have a 25 HP Johsnon seahorse (1980, I think). She stalled on the lake the other night. At first, she ran real well, then two weeks ago on the way in I opened her up and she wouldn't go more than 5 MPH. I changed the gas and the plugs. The next time I had her running, she opened up and then the same problem happened again. It just doesn't seem like it's getting gas where the gas needs to be. I am guessing that either there is a leak in a fuel line and she is drawing air, or the fuel pump is not properly working. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby

2. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Could need a good carb cleaning.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

change the fuel filter.

4. And check to make sure the primer ball is staying hard. You may have a bad fuel line/primer ball. If it is cutting out and the ball is soft give it a few pumps and see if that changes it. If so, replace the fuel line.

5. Fuel Pump. As soon as I fired her up, she purred, then she opened up and back to a smooth idle. I won't be 100% until we run her on the open water, but it seems to have things back in order. Thanks for all the advice.

Bobby

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

glad you got it figured out, now go catch a few fish:D