Problems with Lure Action

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Chunk, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Chunk

Chunk The Lone Angler

Recently I've noticed that two lures that I've been using for about the last year and a half are not retrieving properly anymore. One of them is a Booyah spinnerbait and the other is a Mepps in-line spinner. I figured they were just over-used and needed a little "tuning," so I tried straightening them out and making them look as new as possible many many times, but they still continue to wobble, barrel-roll, and the blades flutter like they should only every few casts.

Since the tuning didn't seem to help, I can only think that maybe the line on my spool has become twisted? Is this a likely cause for poor lure retrieval action, or am I missing something? Any way to get rid of line twist without re-spooling?

Many thanks for any thoughts,
    Chunk :)

2. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

It's probably not your line, line twist won't hurt the action of the lure too much.
    Are you using a swivel or snap-swivel if you are, that might cause poor action. Make sure you tie your line directly to the lure when using spinnerbaits or in-line spinners. Also, check to see that the clevises (the part that holds the spinning blade to the wire shaft) are spinning freely. If not, they can be replaced.

Brian

3. Try spraying some reel & line majic on the line and lures and see if that helps.

4. if the spinnerbait wire is bent to "open" you need to bend it back to a 90 degree angle. The more fish you catch on a spinnerbait the more you have to pay attention to keep the wire in the right shape. The wire should exit the head of the bait at about a 45 degree angle too. If its a tandem blade bait make sure that the front spinner is spinning. If its not you need to bend the top wire further down toward the hook until it easily does. If its a ball bearing swivel they can get clogged with sand and debris and then they need replaced.

5. I would suggest tying directly to the spinnerbait but I would use a swivel on the inline spinner.

Perhaps the wire is bent out of shape still a bit. You mentioned "barrel-roll" on the spinnerbait which to me sounds like it may be bent sideways a bit. If it is constantly coming in laying on one side then that is often the case. Try holding the lure in front of you in the position that it should be running and then slightly bend the lower section of the lure to force the top (spinner) section the other direction. It does not take much bend at all to alter it so start small and test it by dragging it in front of you.

It sounds like maybe the inline spinner has a bent wire shaft on it. Or as Big Joshy mentioned it may have something lodged in the clevis which connects it to the wire. It should be something noticeable with that one as inline spinners typically spin rather easily.

You may already know this but it helps when casting these lures to stop your line just a bit before the lure hits the water. What this does is straightens out the line and keeps the line from fouling with the hooks or blades. On the inline spinners I give them a quick wrist snap to start the spinning. Some can be a bit stubborn to get started but once they start they will usually keep spinning rather easily.

6. Chunk

Chunk The Lone Angler

Some good tips and info here... I'll have to do a little work. Thanks for all the help!

7. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

This is a good tip for inline spinners. I always start my retrieve with a hard snap to get the blade spinning

8. bkr.... are you using a baitcaster or spinning reel for that? just curious...
    dday

9. I typically use a spinning rod to toss inlines due to the light weight of the lure but the wrist snap action would apply in either case. That wrist snap is done when the bail is closed or with a baitcaster once you have cranked to stop the free spool.