Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my electric start. The starter motor will spin but it will not move up to engage with the main gear teeth on the motor to start it. I just finished replacing the solenoid with a new one but it did not fix the problem. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Just had this problem yesterday on the exact same motor but it was a 35 instead of a 30. there were 2 things that we did. 1 was that the motor had been sitting around for 4 years without being ran. So we oils the bendix, spin it,oil, spin, oil,spin etc. Also the battery was dead so we threw a charger on the battery let it sit for 5 min and it engaged properly and turned the motor over a few times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All, I oiled the bendix shaft, gave it a couple of light taps and tried the starter. Works fine now. I will have to make sure and keep it oiled.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Same motor, same problem here.

At lowes and probably many places, they sell "silicon lube" in an aerosol can like wd40.

Get a can of that (3 bucks) and you'll only have to use a little of it once every spring.

Or if you are like me, whenever you happen to see the can sitting on the shelf you pop the cover off and spray it, just because... Only takes 20 seconds...

·
useless poster
8,807 Posts
if you oil or grease it too much it will stick ,and overlubricating will attract dirt and make the problem worse. again clean the shaft area with a solvent even seafoam or alcohol will work. and LIGHTLY oil it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts