close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

problem with a picture again

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by twistertail, Mar 30, 2005.

1. I get this when I try to upload my picture, any ideas?

The file you uploaded was not an acceptable format.: Scan0002.tif

I scanned the picture and put it on a disc and brought it with me to work and cant get it. I can do the pictures ok that were taken with the digital camera but not the ones I scanned in.

2. Have you tried converting the TIF to a JPG?

3. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

I don't think the Photo Gallery it will accept TIF files. You will need to save your picture as a JPEG and then try to upload.

4. crappiebub

Open your picture then "save as" jpeg

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

TIF's are not accepted due to filesize. Sorry.

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

gif & jpg...are the only that work on here!

7. I opened the picture from the disc but dont know how to save it as as jpeg, can anyone help me on that?

8. Can you change it once its on the disc?

9. You have to open the picture in some sort of photo editing software. I am not sure which one you have available to you but I imagine you have at least one choice. Do not open the picture by clicking on the file because your system is probably associating your browser with TIF files and thus it is not opening the photo editing software. You need to find your program on your system and open it and then from there do a "File"/"Open" of your file.

I hope this helps.

10. Ok thanks. Dont think I can do it from work so I will give it a try at home. At home I have what ever comes standard with windows and also some software that came with our digital camera which is a Kodak. So I will try to figure it out at home. So if I can get the picture from TIF format to JPEG it will work right?

I think there should be one format for all computers everywhere all the time! :confused:

11. crappiebub

Try this
    Just open the picture
    right click on it
    choose save image as
    then save it as example twisters.jpg

12. crappiebub

The camera that took the picture must be set to save as TIF format. You need to change it to jpeg

13. You cannot simply right click and save as to change a format you can only choose the option available...
    You should be able to convert it using the software that came with your digi-cam...
    If not shoot me a PM I'll send you a link to goet soem better software for free...

14. Changing a camera's setting to JPEG would make one less step to getting pictures online. However something to consider before changing to a JPEG setting is the picture quality. I am not a camera expert so I may not have this completely right but you get more detail from a TIF file and thus the file size is larger. This is the primary reason that most web sites do not allow TIF usage. However, if you are planning to get pictures made from the ones you are taking you may want to experiment with picture quality before switching over to JPEG.

15. Do not worry about changing tif to jpeg even for printing your own photos... There is not a printer available that can print at the resolutions available on the high side of either tif or jpeg... You would not be able to tell the diff after printing...
    All the digi cams I ever had were in the JPEG mode and cannot be changed to any other format...
    You can change the kodak software to output what you format you like...

Email me any pics you have trouble with I'll hook you up...

16. The pictures I have the problem with are old ones I took with the 35mm camera and scanned in, the ones from my digital I dont have a problem with. Also any pics we have printed from the digital have turned out great. Thanks for all the help guys.

17. You can change your scanner settings to JPEG too...
    Let me know when you post the old photos I'd like to see those man

18. I think you are probably right on most standard photo sizes that the printers will produce the same in either format. Where detail may be improved is in enlarged photo printing. I am taking this from a relative of mine whom does a good bit of photo work. I have never personally seen the need for better resolution given the ability of the newer cameras (2 Megapixel and up).

Based on what Twistertail pointed out we were going down a wrong road on the camera settings since these are older pics. Clyde is right on with the scanner settings. Most software has an option setting page that allows you to set defaults for the scan process. In those options is the ability to default the file type to what you want.

19. Thanks guys I will check out the scanner and see how to change the format on it. Just when I think I get the hang of something this happens!