close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

private pond with no structure

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by castmaster00, Apr 29, 2008.

1. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

i fish a private pond with little or no structure. i was wondering if anyoune had any ideas about how to catch these fish? the fish are pretty big and there are really good numbers of them in there. there are so many bass in there that the owners have to stock bluegill. but there is no cover for the bass to relate to so i was wondering if anyone knew where the fish would be.

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Can you get a boat on this pond?
    Either way cover as much water as possible, if there is nothing for
    the fish to relate to they could be anywhere. Spinnerbaits, topwaters,
    shallow cranks, swim a jig. Anything to cover as much water as you can
    until you find fish. Once you catch one go right back to that spot and
    see if there are more there. If you don't get bit again change lures on the next cast. Sometimes it takes a change to get the other fish in a school to bite. Oh and don't overlook a Senko.
    Good luck.

3. From my experience, limited at best, with private ponds the fish like to hang out on any drop offs. The sharper drop is where they will hang out. I have also had good luck with them clinging near the bottom.

4. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

if it gets no pressure and is wide open cast a 1/4 blue and crome rat-l-trap and you should hammer them just leep it high and mess with the speed mabey a jerk and flutter every once in a while

i have a pond that i fish that has no structure and i pound them there with that bait (and everything else except rapallas for some reason?)

5. castmaster00

the pond owners were stupid and didnt change the bottom or add any structure and this ponds not even an acre. they hardly let anyone in there though so thats a good thing. the bass get up to 6 lbs. there and i cant get them to bite. the only forage in there is bluegill and there are a few crappie in there that eat the young-of-the-year fry and they are doin real good cause the average size of the blues in there are 6-7 in.there are hundreds of tiny bluegill and those annoy the heck out of me cause i am trying to catch some of the littler bass because the owners want them gone. grandkids.

6. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

Catch some of the smaller bluegill and put one suspended about 5 feet under a large bobber. I can guarantee you some good action!

7. catch a small blue gill. Impale it on a good sized hook and send it out under a good sized bobber.

OR, try a frog bait for some reason the frogs have always worked for me.

8. i have fished many ponds the same way and i allways use a small white spinnerbait or a small swim bait and try finding drop offs or shallow water that has like mabye some algie and if the spinner bait and swim bait dont work go to a zerra spook but thats just me

9. Weightless zoom trick worm (color according to water clarity) - June Bug in stained water or watermelon in clear water

The live bluegill thing mentioned earlier will work well, also

Lastly, if there are frogs around the pond in the evening, throw a chartreuse buzzbait (smaller size) parallel down the bank or a black jitterbug if they won't eat the buzzer.

Alot of times in smaller ponds, especially if the water is clear, the fish eat at dark.

Good Fishin'

Joe

10. bigcats28

bigcats28 I'd Rather Be FISHING

In a small, private pond, almost anything should work. I fish small ponds a lot and the fluke is my go-to bait, it always produces for me. Also, try using some square-lipped bluegill patterned cranks. Drag it along the bottom and let it rise up a little bit, then repeat. Dragging it makes it looks like something is scurrying along and since there isn't any structure, the bass will see it clearly and should be all over it. Just my two-cents

Joe

11. The bluegill is a great idea. Also, try one of the "weedless" soft frogs. My buddy uses one on a pond that has tons of bass and is seldom disappointed. He usually fishes in the evening and around dusk.

12. castmaster00

thing is that the owners dont want me to kill any bluegill. just the bass. and there arnt any frogs round there. there are some toads though. the toads just got done spawning in the pond so should i try some tadpole like lures?

13. Castmaster:

Is the water clear, stained or muddy?

14. castmaster00

went today and the water is stained but usually clear as gin. y

15. Have you tried Senko's or yum dingers???? If I am going to fish a pond that is absolutely my number one bait. Just walk around the shore till you see a fish and flip that thing three feet in front of it's head, just let it fall and watch your line. When your line takes off, yank. About as easy as it gets and, in my opinion, absolutely deadly on pond fish. I like any of the dark colors, watermelon being favorite, I would rig it wacky style if there is no structure/weeds to worry about. If you aren't seeing fish just cast parallel to the shoreline as you make your way around the pond, just lift and let sink, there are bound to be fish hanging around looking for a quick meal.

16. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

blue and silver rat-l-trap 1/4 oz

17. ignantmike

ignantmike steelhead crazy

i've had good luck using 1/8 oz. slider head......bluegill colored tube jig.....cast down the shore and work it back with little hop's

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Saved Fish

With no pressure you can go with about anything... but I got to go with fishingful on this one. The rat-l-trap is going to let you fish at different depths as you let it fall or swim it fast. Give 'er a rip and let us know that we weren't wrong.

19. a jerkbait for sure or try some rat-l-traps.DT4s and DT6s in the bluegill color would work great.

20. castmaster00

rapala x-rap worked pretty good earlier in the year. then it shut off. ill try some of the lures that you guys suggested. thnx