close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Privacy issues

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Thing, Mar 9, 2005.

1. You may find that upon typing in your area code and telephone number at
    www. google.com website,
    unless it is an unlisted number, it will possibly make a direct
    map to your home available.
    It raises questions about privacy issues.
    If you are interested or
    possibly concerned, you have the opportunity to block such information at the site.

geowol
    GEORGE

2. catking

catking Banned

Way too much info given out in todays world. This can can be abused easily.......... scary thought............Thanks George...... :rolleyes: ..... :D

3. Cmon over, nobody ever visits me anyhow. Nobody must be looking for me.<-)

4. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

????? If you'll recall...in one his own speeches, AL GORE invented the internet :eek: :D :D

5. lmao hahahaa good one lmnop

6. catlover

catlover Banned

Go to white pages on msn. If your info comes up it will map directly to your house every time. It's just a plug-in. If you have an address, MapQuest will take you right to to it 99 out of a 100 times.
    The only recourse? Get unlisted-your info will be removed imediately. Even scarier. If you have onstar, you are automaticaly load-jacked. Your exact location and route can be tracked in real time.
    Welcome to the 21st century.
    Catz

"Of course I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?"

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Hey George,
    Give me your last name and I'll tell you what color underwear you're wearing today!
    If you own a house, I can tell you the price you paid and the yearly taxes on your property.
    If you have a drivers license, I can tell you even more good personal tidbits about you.
    If you are divorced, I can tell you all about your assets.
    If you ever had a civil or criminal charge, I can tell you all about that.
    If your house is in foreclosure, I can tell you about your finances.

Scary isn't it?
    The State of Ohio sells your driver's license info to marketers.
    Your phone company sells your info to marketing companies.
    Your credit card companies and banks sell your personal information to marketing companies (ever get the letters from third party mortage companies wanted you to refinance with them and telling you what your mortage balance is?)
    Ever get in a car wreck and you get 15 letters from ambulance chasers wanting to help you sue the daylights out of the other person?

Even scarier.
    These databases don't even compare to the Total Information Awareness Database the government now keeps on its citizens.

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

9. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I often use info space to locate our customers myself . If you type in the phone # it will take you right to there door . These websites can be very helpfull for buisnesses , but it kind of makes you feel uncomfortable to know that any-one can have all your personal info . :(

10. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

Wow Lewzer that is scary.

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Wow, I just discovered that my good friend, the best man at my wedding 14 years ago filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy last April 2004.

Pretty amazing what you can find in public records.

12. You guys are right that it is a bit scary that the info is availabale to everyone. But I think most of this information has always been public data but the big difference is that you used to have to go to the court house to look up records.

Lewzer,
    Do you already have an account with this search site to be able to do this? I took a quick for info on myself and could not get to anything without setting up a profile. The profile costs money though.

13. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

No I do not. Everything is free.

Are you looking in Knox County. Maybe they are one of the few that do charge?

14. found nothing on me there... whew....

15. i had checked google to make sure mine, my parents, and grandparents are not listed. if you are on the list you can get off. problem is: there are many other search engines out there that have the same info.

16. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I think somebody else said it best. This information has pretty much always been public record, but we have NEVER had such easy access to it before. Meaning, the interent has sped that accessibility up quite a bit. You would be surprised what else is public info that isn't on the web....YET. Think about it.

I work for a company that does software for Courts and you'd be surprised....

17. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

I did a search on BKR90210 in Knox county and didn't find anything...looks like you're on the up-n-up ;)

18. this thread is interesting and brings up something that has been on my mind for a while. frankly, i'm surprised at how much personal information that people give on THIS SITE. i don't mean to offend anyone, i am just personally very hesitant to give specifics about my family etc. over the internet. i am confident that the members and the vast majority of people on this site are honest decent people, but what about the people who don't sign in? once again, no offense to guests. i'm refering to the photo's of our small kids and that sort of thing. i'm not judging anyone here, i just wouldn't reveal anything that might get the attention of some budding btk or something. maybe i'm too paranoid but that has been on my mind lately.

pik-n-fin

19. very scary indeed. just found 5 pages of sexual preds that live close by.