close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Price of Winterizing a Boat

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by "J", Dec 20, 2004.

1. "J"

"J"

Hey all, was helping a friend winterize his boat and he said that I should do it for a side bussiness, and was thinking that it might be a good idea, well I was wondering what you all would pay if you could have someone come to your house and winterize your boat in your garage/driveway, no more dropping it off at the dealers and having to wait weeks for the phone call to come pick it up. I figured I could do a couple of boats a weekend and still have time for the other hobbies, but don't know what a fair price to ask for this, so I figured I'd asked the people who would know. Now I don't want you all to think that I'm trying to drum up bussiness, I'm just trying to figure out what is a fair price to charge. Thanks "J"

2. You better have Liability Insurance to cover anyone's claim should a problem occure that is winterizing related. You should also be able to determine that the boat/engine you are going to winterize does not already have existing problems. Remember that you have no control over the work done once it leaves you control. :( I remember one incident where an individual tried to make a claim against the marina but he didn't know that the marina had taken measures to be able to identify the materials they used. :cool: Seems he used the boat after winterizing then flushed it with his own material and didn't do a good job. Ended up with a crack due to freezing. Lucky the marina didn't press charges but they did kick him out and also put the word out on him in the area marinas.

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Good advice shortcake. And good idea J.

4. I usually put off winterizing my boat until the sub-zero weather hits, so I prefer taking it to a mechanic with a heated garage and test tanks for running the engine. Both of which I don't have. The driveway method works fine during warmer weather when fluids drain easier and garden hoses won't freeze up. ;)

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

J,
    Shortdrift raises very good points. If this is something you want to do you should be bonded/insured in the envent there is a problem with the work you have preformed. That (overhead) is one of the reasons the cost of repairs are so expensive. If you've preformed a winterizing service on someone's boat and the engine block or a head cracked, would you be prepared to pay for the repairs??? That could be a very expensive proposition. Point being, if you're going to pursue this venture, protect yourself from the liability and go for it.
    In answer to your original question...the price varies because you have I/O's and outboard motors. I can speak on the I/O's. Even though I usually do it myself I do asked around to see what the going rates are. Here's what I found earlier this fall.
    Winterization: $160 (Drain/Flush engine, add RV type antifreeze, fog engine, drain outdrive and refill)
    Oil change: $60 (Drain oil, change filter, refill).
    Gimbal/outdrive realignment: $120
    Shrink wrap: $13 per ft.

Hope this helps you out.

6. Having owned my own business you are getting some good advice. But don't let all the negatives stop you from starting a business if you want to. Just be aware of the pitfalls and prepare for them.

I was in the video production business and carried a lot of liability in case a hot light fell on someone or we did a training tape that caused an accident. There are problems having your own business, but I felt it beat working for someone else. ;)

7. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I gave Simmons Marine $154 to winterize my I/O. He changes all fluids, new filters, flushes motor with marine specific anti freeze, and gives motor a very thourough once over.

It might seem like a lot, but I did it myself last year. It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, and I had a little over $90 in materials.