Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an uncovered 10X60 ft deck with a wrap around 2x2 ballister railing that is approx. 20 yrs old. I liked the grey aging look it had for the first 10-15 yrs and never put anything on it except Thompsons and only occasionally. Now it has some really dark, hardened surface crud that is prob. petrified mold and looks pretty crappy. I'd like to pressure wash it but wondering what pressure would remove the crud and not the wood between the grains? I have a 2400psi washer but not sure it would do much-and only want to do it once! After I do it, I might use one of the new products on the market I have seen on tv ads to color and protect it but would like to see what the pressure washing will look like and how effective it is. Anyone into this who can make recommendations? I can rent higher pressure machines if needed locally. Thx for input.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Might want to try a little steel wool or something similar to try to remove the "crud"...I have two gallons of Red Cedar One Time wood stain that run about $70 /gallon. Covers 250-350 sq ft per gallon. Lasts 7 years. You can have them both for $40.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have a pressure treated fence that was in a similar condition that's made with 6" x 5/4" boards. Lots of very old and layer upon layer of mildew. My pressure washer is 2250 psi and it blasted the wood clean with no damage. I had the nozzle set at about a 6" wide fan spray.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The pressure washer should take most of it out. Just hold the nozzle at an even distance and keep moving. Follow with a heavy bleach and water solution in a garden sprayer. Let it soak and keep it wet for about a half hour and then rinse off. The bleach will get rid of the rest of the mildew and stains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts