Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going up thursday and fishing till sunday any help on the largemouth and smallie locations from you guys that have been up there lately would help alot i've never been there before but i've heard alot of good things hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will be a good time
thanks for the info guys!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
You should have a great time. Many parts of the bay are shallow near the shoreline, so watch your depth finder. The weeds are real heavy right now, but full of largemouth and some smallmouth.

My favorites are topwater, spinnerbait, and rattletrap. The largemouth seem to be in 4 to 5 feet of water. The smallmouth are probably deeper, but I didn't find them yesterday.

There are several launches. You may want to launch close to where your going to fish. I always launch in the lagoons, because I like misery bay and the area close to the monument.

·
Registered
402 Posts
can anyone tell me some places to stay at presque isle.i don't camp. would
like a cabin or motel.you can post me or pm me.thanks in advance.don't know
when i'am going right yet.
baby bass :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I just saw this post...a little late.

I'd stay at the El Patio Motel, the number is: 814-838-9772. If you talk to the general manager, Larry Clark, and let him know you are a fisherman you should get a discount.

You can plug your boats in overnight with extension cords if you need to and I feel its a pretty fisherman friendly place.

Bill

·
PB LM 10 lbs 3 oz.
113 Posts
Bryanbass,
I just got back from Presque Isle, my first trip, and it was excellent fishing. I found the bigger fish on the weeds (hydrilla) from 6-10 ft, keeping the boat in 10. The whole bay if full of LM so you need to experiment with your retrieve and lures to get the bigger bite. Burning a spinnerbait was the ticket until Sunday when the cold front kicked in. If you want to stay in the bay and catch some good smallies,fish the canal that leads out to the lake. I think you will find the fish to be very cooperative by this weekend. My best day was Friday (right before the front), had 33 fish before 9 am with the best 5 weighing 22-24 lbs, oh yea, and two 36" northerns, this place is excellent!
Scott

·
Super Moderator
3,897 Posts
jealous!!! :mad: Your in for some prime time fishing!

Heres a hot tip
using 30-50lb superline and at least a 7' medium heavy rod

Throw these!!!
3/8-1/2oz.
*BLACK AND ORANGE* Northland REEDRUNNER spinnerbait for mega Largemouth. These blades wont clog with weeds as much as others ...I think its because the blades are heavy and painted?? When we were getting stuck in weeds we would gently shake them out and the blades would start rotating again without fail ....and BAMMM!!!!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
YOu can definately fish the lagoons by the ramp for largemouth and on a normal day you could probably fish in the bay close to the ramp for some excellent fishing. I wouldn't venture too far in a 12foot deep v but the bay you should be ok.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Was up there this weekend. Decided to try for smallies out of the bay a little bit. They are staged at 20-25 feet. Caught about 7 each in 3 hours. Were talkin big old football smallies. Even got a 25 inch walleye.

·
The tug is the drug
255 Posts
mushijobah is my brother , yep we did pretty good up at presque isle i was wonderin where the northerns are... and what to use...we got the smallies pegged but we just want a lil fun with the pike if anyone knows anything holler...gob bless, good fishin

·
The tug is the drug
255 Posts
i love fishing presque isle with my brother and godfather. my brother(just so you know is mushijobah anyway we were wonderin where the pike are?!! and what to use...if anyone can help thatd be great we gotta 17.8 foot champion boat it handles pretty well with a drift sock in 1-4 footers....good fishing and god bless. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts