close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Presque Isle ICE ???

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by fishingful, Feb 16, 2005.

1. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

does any one know the conditions of the ice up their or where i can watch the ice conditions hate to make the 2 hr trip and fall through :( thanks jim :cool:

2. I'm trying to find out as well. I just came acrossed a list of telphone numbers for area bait shops in Erie. I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow for a report. With the cold weather we should be getting the next three nights, I'm thinking we should be in good shape. Last weekend, the bay had a solid 7-8" of clear ice. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow from the locals...

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I'll have BigDaddy also check. Better be good :rolleyes: I'll be going out the first time in over 35 years. Heck we still used sticks and worms back then. :D

4. call the park office they will be able to tell you how the ice is the number is 8148337424

5. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

WEST ERIE COUNTY, DWCO Randy Leighton, WCO Brook Tolbert
    Conditions:
    A mixed bag of weather conditions has kept anglers guessing on area tributary conditions. Early week rain had again blown out any ice formation and set area waters flowing and muddy. Rain and snow predictions although not heavy, may be enough to keep the tribs flowing through the weekend and slow down any ice formation. How many fish have moved in is unclear, but its a good bet that a few have with recent conditions. Anglers are still ice fishing the Bay picking up good numbers of gills and a few perch. Caution should be exercised on any area ice with the recent rain and warm weather. A flight over lake Erie Tuesday afternoon reveiled that most of the lake, especially the Western basin, is ice free with a lot of broken drift ice.

Lake Erie water temperature as of this writing is 33 degrees. Tributary conditions as of this writing are generally high and flowing

found at......... http://www.fishlakeerie.com/pa/eriest.htm

6. The bay is fine guys. There was a good 10 to 12 inches of ice before the rain hit. Plus, the temps the next three days/nights will firm things up for sure. I would imagine there has to be a good 7-8 inches out there now, probably 9+ by the weekend.

It takes a lot longer to get rid of ice than you think. A couple days of 50's and some rain will soften the top, but not a full 10-12 inches of ice. It'll freeze up by the weekend for sure.

Jim, that report was for tribs of Erie that people are steelhead fishing, not the bay.

7. Well guys I came across this thread and I might be able to head you in the right direction. Big Daddy is right, two weeks ago we had 10-12 inches of ice on the bay. But after the first rain it got knocked down to 8-10 inches and suppose it got knocked down to 7-9 as of Tuesday. Know I do not know that for sure but I bet its close, due to the fact I live 2 hours away so this is not first hand info but I know my sources pretty good. I have fished the bay since day one this yr and it’s been awsome. The only weekend I didn’t fish it was when we fished the weekend we went to Ny to fish the SUPER TRAP ATTACK at Silver. Lots and I mean lots of gill, hand fulls of nice crappie and perch here one day and gone the next. For gills and crappie second parking lot 60 or so yards out 30 yards left and do not fish till you can find 11 to 13Fow with 3 to 4 ft of weeds (fish the top some times 3ft over the weeds). If you have an Aqua View like I do it will make it easier on you. For perch I did really good off the marina parking lot out in 18fow a lil to the right on JUMBOS, pimps with green pris tape and maggots. This is the only spot to worry about I found one spot that only had 4 inches of ice and that was before the rain. The lake perch are starting to head in because most of the perch we caught we’re lake perch. When you come down the hill into the park stop at Hanson’s bait and ask if there’s any bad spots and they’ll lead you in the right direction.

P.S. I thought this might help you guys out a little I seen you guys have a trip planed and this might help you do less looking and more catching. Oh you what weekend you guys heading up? It’s this you isn’t it? I might stop in and say hi I’ll be their both sat and sun. I’ll try to find out by fri and let you guys now for 100% how the ice is.

8. Thanks Invader24. A few guys will be up Friday, 2/18, I'll be there Saturday, 2/19. We're most of us staying at the El Patio motel, and I know I'll be fishing off the second lot. I know a few spots there. Should be a great time. I'll be monitoring radio channel 06 if you want to check in. Also, my dark green Dodge truck has TEAM OGF stickers all over it and a BIG DADDY in the window.

Going to be a big weekend and thanks for the updates. Much appreciated.

9. No problem Big Daddy. I'll be their sat and sun and I'll have my radio so we'll give ya a call. If your on my honey hole off the second lot don't be supprised if I start drilling about 2ft away from ya LOL. Just playin :). Have fun and be safe.

10. Called Hanson's this morning and the report was 4-6" with the soft stuff firming up. Should be more by this weekend if the snow doesn't insulate it too much! Should be fine for this weekend!

11. if you need a ride let me know....I have room in the shanty too! I will check post tommorrow. I am going Sat AM and leaving Sat evening to come home!

Cap'n

12. Just arrived
    One of the worse snows I've drivin in for a long time and its still snowing
    wind is blowing pretty brutal as well dont forget the anchors
    Be careful driving I'll post conditions on friday
    Geowol
    George

13. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

well, was hoping to be there Saturday late morning thru Sunday. Looks like maybe Saturday night, more than likely Sunday only. Gonna try to head to GM for my Vex, a new ice rod (to replace the one that was pulled in by a large channel cat), new blades for the auger, my PA license and some bait. I'll be on the 2 way channel 6. I've got some cell numbers, if anyone wants to hook up, let me know. I'm goin to bed now

Goodnight all :cool: