close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Presque Isle Bay: 1/29/05

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Big Daddy, Jan 30, 2005.

1. I'd heard of good ice up there from several of you guys, so TxTransplant, KSUFLASH,cfish102,BernieBabb,two fellow SSA members, Don and Walt, Walt's son Joey, and my son Nick all headed up to check things out, get on some ice, and catch some fish.

Nice day for up there, not real windy, and temps weren't real cold. We found ice thicknesses to be anywhere from 8-12 inches withing, oh 200 yards from shore, to 4 in one spot in the middle of the bay, then back to 10-11 as we moved around.

Fishing was so-so. Had to work for them.TONS of smelt everywhere. TxTransplant talked to one of the locals and he says he hasn't seen this many smelt in the bay since he was a kid. They'd swim right up into the hole, chasing your bait. Everyone caught fish though, mostly the nice, fryer size gills Presque is known for, but a few nice perch and crappie were hauled in as well.

We ended up moving three times, half the group made a LOOOONG trek across the bay, but for good reason. A guy was coming off the ice in the early afternoon. He had a bucket full of the largest perch I have EVER seen in my life. He had two on the top that were 16" OR BETTER. They were HUGE. I've only seen perch that big in displays at outdoor shows. He told us, "eh, we get them all the time like this up here." They were giants.

Not the best PA trip I've had, but we caught some fish. Nick caught a fat 12 1/2 inch perch and had a blast catching gills and smelt. I'm a proud Dad today because of him. I got him up a 3AM to head up there, we fished on the ice for 13 hours, and he was well behaved and didn't complain about a darn thing, even the cold. He was out like a light though, before we got out of the park.

Everyone caught some fish, we did have to work for them though. Not sure how many limits of gills between all of us, but we caught a few, that's for sure.

Now, the pix....

2. The trip raffle is still going on. Feb 19 and 20.

I may try and get up there again next week and/or the week after to see if I can find where the more active fish are, but I don't know. There's a couple ice tournaments this Saturday. I'll be at the Columbus Sport Show on Feb 10, but may take a day off in the next couple weeks to head up.

Going to be a heck of a fun time.

3. Glad You Guys Had A Good Time. Way To Go Nick.thanks For The Pix And Report.

4. Nice pics. big daddy,Me and barcelona bass fished misery bay and limited out on nice gills around 2:00 had about a 3 to 1 factor for good keepers.
    Also 4 perch and one bass counted at least 75 shantys on that bay.
    I called on the radio off an on but didn't hear from any ogf'ers.
    You now even a old miser like me has to say the fishing is worth 60 bucks.
    Looked like old days at Mogadore.mabey we need a 50 gill limit also.
    Good luck to all who get to go up there.
    Fred

5. I think I was out of range of you Fred. We went out of the 4th lot, about halfway across the bay.

We were thinking of hitting Misery Bay, but decided to try the main part. I may head up there in the next week or two to try Misery and decide where I want to take the raffle winner.

Thanks for the report.

6. Thanks for sharing Big D. Thats all I needed to see. Everyone still using the radios up there like last year ? If so what channel ? Is the bait store open on Sunday, can't remember.
    See you all there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Longspur

7. Dixie Chicken

Dixie Chicken I AM THE VOICE OF REASON!

Looks like you did well. I'll pass this on to my brother. Looks like we may have to make a trip east. FYI: Hersh went out on Bass Lake in Chardon and he another guy did well. Crappies, perch and gills.

8. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

GREAT pics BD.....glad you guys had fun! :) :)

9. Thanks for the report Big Daddy. I am going up this weekend with several ou-of towners and even a couple newbies. I've only been there once, but I know the fish are everywhere. I would like to get some good perch so any suggestions about where half of your group[ went when they took a long trip accross the bay. Also were you fishing misery bay on Saturday? If you are going, let us know so we can try to be in touch.
    Thanks for all your generous info.

Bdrape

10. Great pics Carl, Bdrape, about the perch, my friends were up last week at the 2nd lot , got quite a few gills and a few perch. They talked to a guy coming off with about 15 perch, said he got them over by the yacht club in 15fow. A long walk but worth it. No parking allowed at the yacht club on the city side. Report on the fish erie board, a report says this guy has limited 4 out of 5 times on perch this year off of the Chestnut ST ramp (city side) he said a bit of a walk out toward the middle where you can look down the channel untill you can see the lake. 25-27 fow. Iwont be up untill next week then hopefully 3-4 times a week untill the ice melts or wifey throws me out.

11. Thanks for the reports Bo. I'm 99% sure I'll be heading back up this coming Sunday. I'll either be hitting Misery Bay or the second lot. Probably Misery Bay.

That bucket of perch I saw was amazing. Very long walk, but like you said, worth it if you get them.