close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Presque Isle 1/24

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Steelhauler, Jan 25, 2005.

1. It was a very tough day on PI today.

First the conditions:

There is 5"- 7" of good clear ice everywhere I went yesterday. The problem is the snow. There is anywhere from 6" - 16" of the white stuff over most of the bay. That along with the 35 mph winds yesterday made for a fun day of dragging a shanty.

Now for the fishing:

It was pretty much non-existent yesterday. I moved about a half dozen times between the 1st and 3rd parking lots, from the middle of the bay to in close (5' - 14') and could not locate any keeper fish. I caught a bunch of dink Perch and Gills, but nothing for the cooler. The odd thing yesterday was that the bay was loaded with Smelt. I had the Aqua-vu with me and everytime I put the camera down there were Smelt everywhere. I caught a couple dozen of those too, but that's not what I was fishing for. Everyone I talked to had about the same story, a lot of little fish with a few keepers thrown in here and there. A couple of guys told me that they had the Smelt swimming right up in to the holes.

I'll probably go back up next week if the ice holds up.

Wes

2. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Thanks for the report Steelhauler. I plan on heading there early Friday morning and staying the weekend. Anyone else plan on going this weekend ?

Krustydawg