close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pre Paid Cell Phones

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by downtown, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Kinda of looking to get into the 21st century by getting A Cell Phone ,but don't want the contract or monthly bill and wouldn;t use it that much ,been kicking the idea of getting one of these deals I've seen em at Wally World and other Dept Stores and Radio Shack. If you use this type of deal what's the good the bad and the ugly???

Thanks

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i had virgin mobile for well over 2 yrs.. they are great if you dont use it that often..

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

good: you can choose how much you put on it and your minutes carry over
    Bad: you cannot go over your minutes and minutes cost more, you also have a very rigid plan.

4. Ive got mine through Cingular. I only use it every once in awhile.My time doubles on the weekends too. With the walmart brand the time goes very fast on your phone.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I think Trac Fone has the largest calling area by far, dont they?
    www.tracfone.com you can by minutes that are good for the entire year. Take a look @ the recondtiiton phones.

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

this is only my opinion here i had a pre paid when i was in college. and i have verizon now.

Pre paid.
    Good. No contract. thats only thing i can think of
    Bad.
    1) Initial cost is more to buy the phone and get the min card
    2) the min cost more than contract companies and they can go fast with roaming charges
    3) no in plan calling.
    4) your going to spend probably over $100 to get started i am not sure what the phone and a card is now.
    5) your going to find your self buying cards more than you think.
    6) possibility of running out of min when you need them and cant make a call

Contract company like verizon
    Good
    1) large calling area
    2) in plan free calling to anyone with a verizon phone
    3) 500 free min a month
    4) get in it cheap for one phone and 500min and call free to any verizon phone you would pay $29 for phone and $39 month
    5) no chance of running out of min in the middle of nowere

Bad
    1) locked into a 2yr contract

But if you start using the prepaid more than what you think you will you may end up spending more than if you went with a company.

7. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

personally i think prepaid is a BIG RIP OFF....the 1 or 2 year comitment is no big deal if you plan on useing your phone on a regular basis

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have a prepaid it is by page plus cellular. it is verizon service ,so your service is one of the best. time is .25 cents a minute and lasts for 120 days and rolover if you buy $10.00 more b4 your 120 days are up. i have called off work from west sister to clevelanwhile i was walleye fishing. time comes in $10.00 increments.

9. catlover

catlover Banned

Cricket and a phone card for LD? If you are in an area they service its cheap and unlimited. No charge for in or out calls. Dont matter nite, day or weekend. Only cover your own LD calls.
    Catz

10. I got my phone a year and a half or so ago from Radio Shack. It is on a Verizon prepaid plan. I paid around $200 initially, because I bought an accessory pack (that I only use a couple of items from) and a 3-year warranty that covers eveything (including batteries, which supposedly cost up to $60 each). The clerk told me that the only thing that was not covered was admitting that the phone was dropped in water.

The service has been great. I use the phone when I need to make a call, not for entertainment and idle "BS'ing". I buy thirty dollars worth of airtime, which is good for two months, and always have minutes to roll over into the next period. Coverage has been great, and roaming charges haven't taken my remaining minutes down too quickly, when I've had them. (Recieved a call while I was on vacation in Ontario last year, talked for a while, and didn't really notice a big drop in remaining minutes.) My use is usually around my local area, and from the lakes in the summertime. Bottom line is that for me, it's a good deal, but it's not for everyone.

Tim

11. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

On the 2 year contract you can get a round that by getting the contract and phone through the web. I know companies like "Lets Talk" offer the same contract rates as the direct companies but normally offer better deals on the phone, plus you are normally only locked into 1 year.

I know I got my last Cingular deal through them, got the monthly minutes I wanted, only locked into 1 year and the phone was free compared to Cingular who wanted to charge me $75 for it at the time, not a bad deal. I saved up and paid the whole year off on my first bill, most of my family and friends are on cingular and Att&t so they don't count towards my minutes. Don't know why you can get better deals through other companies then going directly to the company but you do.

12. That one sounds great miso... I dropped my cell phone complany because I never used it sometimes mos. at a time... BIG waste of $$$
    I will look into pre-paid soon...
    I never gave out my # ecept for imegencies so incoming was not a problem...

13. I got a Tracfone directly tracfone.com or whatever it is. I got the phone, 1 year subscription, 360 minutes, charger, car charger, holder, shipping for $100 out the door. Nokia phone works nice, no problems. Couldn't find a cheaper deal....I've used it for 25 minutes this year, but well worth it when I need it.

14. dip

dip dip

i don't use fones unless i have to so it works for me..... 19.95 every other month and i've been around kyger ohio and mason west va when friends couldn't get out with verizon OR cingular.... i could get out fine with my fone. bad thing is i have over 300 hours racked up that i'll probly never use. got a verizon for the wife.

OOPS! i meant 300 "units" not hours! :eek:

15. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

i seen a ad on tv the other day that said verizon has a plan without contract worth lookin into...i looked on the web site and didnt see anything...maybe i was mistaken but never hurts to ask

16. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

page plus cellular is verizon service and does not require a contract. the phone and charger plus 40 minutes air time was only $29.95. time last 120 days and rolls over and sells in $10 increments for 40 minutes.

17. My tracfone I mentioned costs me $8.33/month (out the door, total, bottom line) for 30 minutes/month. Can't beat it for minimal user