Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received word from Ron’s wife and unfortunately he is in hospice on the last stages of life and being made comfortable with morphine. So his family can use a lot of prayers right now!! I know he has touched a lot of people on here! He has been like a dad to me teaching me so many things! Especially how to respect and navigate Lake Erie. Go in peace my friend!!

· Registered
744 Posts
I received word from Ron’s wife and unfortunately he is in hospice on the last stages of life and being made comfortable with morphine. So his family can use a lot of prayers right now!! I know he has touched a lot of people on here! He has been like a dad to me teaching me so many things! Especially how to respect and navigate Lake Erie. Go in peace my friend!!
Thanks for the update.
Ron has been bravely fighting health issues since August, he would make progress only to have a setback, over and over. He fought to the end.
Ron , I will miss you dearly. Godspeed my friend.

· Registered
10,397 Posts
So sorry to hear, it was a true friend to me, in helping me learn how to fish Lake Erie. God bless you Ron🙏🙏
I fished Erie for a decade mid 70’s to mid 80’s mosty drifting, occasionally pulling harnesses, but never a plug/crank! Ron was docked at West Harbor(if memory serves me!) and successfully catching limits of nice eyes when it was NOT “routine“ and invited me and my two sons for a day of “trolling” education! He pulled out his “Bill Normans” and put on a clinic! We caught a bunch of fish near Kelly off his 25’ Thompson that day, and my boys still talk abt it! He was the first to tell me abt OGF and got me to join. Ron and I were friends from the early days when I was an engineer at Goodyear and he was a owner/salesman of heat exchangers. We just seemed to hit it off! Later, and older, we fished together occasionally on Erie, mostly for perch in the mid. basin(until there wasn’t any)! We really weren’t very close “socially” but we were “fishing friends“ on the lake! I am very sorry to hear of his latest situation health-wise! I was so sure he would overcome his health issues! Lots of great memories, Fish On, old friend! God’s getting another fishing buddy!
Edit: I emailed my son, Jason in Maryland and mentioned Ron’s status and that Ron had taken us fishing when Jason was abt 10 yrs. old! He was saddened and sent his condolences to the family! Said he remembered that trip like it was yesterday(and it had to have been 35 yrs or more! Ron made a huge “good“ impression on everyone who met him! We’ll miss you, buddy!

· Registered
2,098 Posts
I met Ron some time after moving to Medina in 2003 and still barely knew him when my son Robbie was born in 2005...Ron invited me to his home for a late dinner while wifey and son were still in the hospital...knowing I'd been there all day...thats the kind of guy he was...and always willing to help, give, and share a story...

Ron and I weren't really close, didn't get to spend a lot of time together doing things, but he treated us like family and anytime we talked always made it a point to ask about Robbie, what he was doing, etc.

When I broke the news to Robbie he said "I'm glad he's no longer suffering. I'm going to miss him."

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

· the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,475 Posts
I’ve know Ron for many years and he’s the one that showed me the way of in-line boards.. and road runner jigs, yep he out fished me at mosquito.. always loved his knowledge and his commitment to teaching others..

1 - 20 of 84 Posts