close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Prayers for Doug

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrfishohio, Aug 24, 2004.

1. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Doug passed away today. Doug was a good guy, had a fatal progressive illness. It kicked in from time to time. Last time he relapsed, he fell down a flight of stairs at his parent's home, breaking his back. That incident happened last year in Jan. He was paralized from the fall, confined to a wheelchair. Recently the pain was becoming unbearable, he couldn't continue. He attempted a permanent solution, by saving up medication. Which put him into a serious coma, wound up in the hospital until he slipped into the peace he sought earlier today. He carried the message, he often said he thought his message wasn't good because it left the impression that one can go back & forth with an alcohol addition. I told him I thought not, that his message was good as it drove home that one could end up handicapped. So not only the 3 things we say happens to practicing alcoholics, which are; 1.) Death; 2.) Insanity; 3.)Incarceration.
    He added; 4.) Handicapped to those definitions in his message. Something most of us never consider, however, I know a whole bunch of people walking sideways, etc from automobile accidents from their own intoxication and/or from other's too.
    Anyway, just wanted to share this with you all. It will be quiet at Doug's parent's home tonight, keep them in your thoughts.
    Also I want anyone who may be experiancing any substance problems to know, it's a serious thing & there is a solution. Feel free to contact me if you want to, I can direct you to help. Doug just wanted to have some fun and have a few drinks....nothing wrong or immoral about that. But, (always a but in there), sometimes the drink takes the man. If you or a family member or friend is experiancing a problem, trust me, help is availible. Jim

2. A lot of people like to laugh and shrug off a "little" drinking problem that someone may have but I too have seen it ruin lives in many ways. Often times those lives ruined are first are not the person drinking. I know a few that are currently consumed by the addiction and the only question for them is how long it will take until the addiction does them in some way or another. It is a very strong addiction and difficult to overcome.

My prayers are with your friend's family.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

3. catking

catking Banned

Very sorry about this Jim. It's a shame that substance abuse uses up life.Take care ;) ............. CK

4. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Thanks for sharing Jim!

5. Sorry to hear about your freind Jim.

6. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Jim, sorry to hear about your friend.

7. BIGG MAN

BIGG MAN JOE

My prayers are with you and your friend's family

8. My condolences Jim, to you and your friend's family.

9. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Sorry to hear aboutyour loss, Jim.

I know what you mean though, I lost both my grandfather, and an uncle to alcohol related suicide.

- Rumi

10. mrfishohio

I was informed the news of his death was slightly exagerated. Imagine my surprise when I appeared with a "Deepest Sympathy" card. Apparently some misinformation is circulated. He's considered brain dead, and on life support machines. Apparently they are close to taking him off the machines. Has about 10% ability to breath. So, things are not looking good, brain activity has improved slightly, but not significant. Who knows what God's plan is ? He might snap out of it, or not. :confused:
    Thanks for all your kind words, that means alot, Jim

11. Very Sad To Hear....thoughts And Prayers For You...i Just Lost My Mother Last Week....

12. mrfishohio

Doug has improved significantly....he's nodding & squeezing hands. Who knows what God's plans are, other than God of course......

13. Good to hear Jim. Take care..........Rich

14. mrfishohio

He's off the respirator & breathing on his own, still has pneumonia. He's tryihg to speak, but can't. Funny how God has His own plans.......not for us to decide when we're leaving this old planet !
    He was diagnosed brain dead last Monday and wanted to wait a day to "pull the plug" :eek:

15. BIGG MAN

BIGG MAN JOE

that good to hear that he doing better