Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a heads up. Metro parks stay open till midnight the last saturday of the month. This is a great time to fish prairie oaks quarrys. I have had desent luck chasing minnows that are busting the surface late evenings in a kayak and thowing any lure into the minnows. I'm going to try to make it this saturday I'll be the old fat guy in the camo kayak with wheels on the back.

·
47 Posts
Awesome thanks for the heads up! I'll see you there on my yak as well. Which of the quarries do you prefer? I just went there yesterday after work and caught 4 LM in the quarry that is the furthest south. Caught'em all working a spinner bait over weed beds and trees close to the bank during an hour long window while I had a nice northeast wind blowing against the west bank. They fish would only hit my spinner bait when I would give it some stop and go jerking action around weeds or trees. The bites stopped immediately after the wind died. Still happy with my first time in that specific quarry, especially considering how slow the prairie oaks quarries can be.

I was talking to some guy on a kayak a few weeks back when I was bank fishing there and he said he heard that some guy caught a 7lb LM out of the main prairie quarry not to long ago. Don't know if its true or not but I would have loved to see a picture of that hog.

Here's a pic of the biggest catch of the day, he came in at just under 1.5 on the scale.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mainly fish the back lake to the left. I usually manage to catch 5 or 6 bass everytime out. I have fished those lake probably 30 times in the last two years and the largest bass I have caught was a little over 3 lb. Last fall there were nights were I caught over 20 bass in a evening. Almost all of them 1.5 pounders. Both of the back quarrys are really deep the one on the left is right at 100 ft deep and the one on the right is over 70 ft deep. There are shear dropoffs in both. The left lake in spots will go from 30 foot to 90 foot in a heartbeat and the right lake will go 30 to 70 foot. Usually the minnows start busting the surface near these dropoff in late evenings. Once the minnows get spooked they will dive and you will have to wait for them to come up in another part of the lake.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just got back. Got there around 6 pm and fished till 11 caught 11 bass 2 gills and a crappie

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Wow awesome job! Did you get any big ones, what did you catch em on? I ended up just going to the scioto tonight instead of prairie, too lazy to drive out, I just caught 2 small bass.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i was down there saturdaynite i caught five crappie an four small bass all around a pound or so has any body seen any big catfisg caught out of there ive seen some small ones but nothing big i also havent seen any one caught any of the perch the says in there

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I caught this last week. I don't know if you consider it large or not it was somewhere around 7 or 8 lb and then if you added the 2 pounds of weeds he picked up when he dove to the bottom it was a pretty good fight on 6 lb test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts