Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have power tilt and trim on my 1991 120hp volvo i/o and it will trim down but it wont trim up.. and the tilt switch does nothing at all.... I switched out the relays on the pump hoping that one of them was bad and it still only trims down.... I dont have a manual yet.... Any helpful tips on troubleshooting would be appreciated...... Also this is the first I/O that I have owned and I was was wondering what the difference is between the tilt and trim on the shifter.... thanx

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Not much help because mine is an outboard. Had this problem last spring and it was a relay problem. Replaced both because when one goes...the other could be due also.

Can you bypass the switch? Could this problem be in the switch?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx bobnstow... The next time I head over to the boat (prob next week when it warms up a bit as it is stored outside temporarily) I will take a jumper wire and try to bypass the switch... and to clear things up I just switched the 2 relays around as they had the same part #... not replaced them...

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
The "tilt" is to tilt the engine for launching and trailering. The "trim" is to adjust the attitude of the boat while running. The trim has a limited range where as the "tilt" will lift the unit to the stops.

I had a power "tilt" unit on my kicker and when it when bad, I could tilt down but not up (initially)...eventually I could not tilt up or down and had to replace the hydraulic cylinder. It was not a switch issue.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are the tilt and trim adjustments both made with the outdrive? I dont want to sound stupid but I have never dealt with this before;)

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Yes. I am not sure I can explain this but I will try with a simple analogy. Think of your outdrive as a piece of pie, with the tip of the pie as the pivot point of your outdrive and the arc it can travel up and down as the curved part of the pie (outer crust if you will). The "tilt" will lift the unit the entire arc of the crust. The trim is intended to only control the lower unit 15-20% (estimate only) of the arc, which would be from the furthest down and up a few inches from there. Think of the trim limitation as if you were to cut a small slice from the the piece of pie. That small slice (as you adjust your trim and the attitude of your boat) is the limit the trim switch is meant to control...the remaining piece of pie is the tilt control. This seems clear as mud to me so I am sure I have completely confused you by now. :p

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx fugarwi7.. I got it now.... that explains all of the wires out of the relays at the pump.... they serve 4 different purposes... I will have to get an original service manual to try and fix it myself... if not I will have to take it to a dealer:( which I really dont want to do......

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Chip...I know as men we think we can fix and repair every thing, but sometimes it is best to let someone who really does know more than us fix things we shouldn't attempt to fix ourselves, especially if we don't fully understand how a sytem works. It is a hard realization to come to (kinda like asking for directions), but in this case, you may be best to have a marine mechanic fix this for you. I only speak from my own experience. I want to always fix my own stuff (and I was a mechanic by trade for several years), but I also have learned to recognize my limitations when it comes to my boat. The last thing I want to have go wrong when I'm out 10 or 20 miles on Erie is my repair...there is just something more reassuring about a professional's repair opposed to my own. Although more costly at first, that piece of mind is priceless. Just an added thought.

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Chip, I have a Mercruiser I/O and had the same problem. I'll lay 10:1 odds it is your trim limit switch is stuck or bad. That will allow you to trim down, but not trim up. The tilt will still work to take the outdrive up because it bypasses the trim limit switch. Check your repair manual, and do the tests it recommends, but I'd say you'll need to replace the limit switch. Mine is so old it is built into the bell housing at the top, and only accessible if I tear the whole thing apart, so I just bypassed the switch and will keep an eye on my gauge when I trim. If yours is a newer model, it will have the switch on the port side of the gimbal ring. The one on the starboard side should go to your gauge. They come in pairs to be replaced together. From what I have read, they don't seem too hard for the do-it-yourselfer.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Had the same problem last year with my mercruiser. Get a continuity tester and check the solenoid on your trim pump. You will find out right away what is not working. Get the manual. Just like eyesman said my problem was the trim limit switch. I can't remember what I did but I tricked it somehow, but I don't have trim, just goes all the way up. Maybe I will fix it this year when I replace the bellows?

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
You're in for a treat fishingguy. Don't know if you've done it before or not. I had my lower unit off to repair the skeg and replace impeller, then decided to pull the gearcase off to replace the bellows while I had it tore apart. The bellows replacement is a pain in the a$$. Take your time and you can do it. The new bellows are stiff and tough to stuff in where you need them, the driveshaft bellows especially. Make sure you use bellows adhesive or the job will be for nothing.

·
The one others want to be
2,248 Posts
The wire is broken to the trim switch on the outdrive. I'd bet 75% of all outdrives over 5 years old have a broken wire on the trim switch. It eliminates the trim function and only allows tilt. Volvos use a slightly different set-up than the Mercs but the switches do the same thing. The cause is an easy find- the fix is a bear. You need to replace the switch and fishing the wiring requires major work. I was unwilling to do mine and wound up selling the boat before I had to fix it. Major relief to let someone else do it.

UFM82

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,225 Posts
Girlfriend's Tiara with a Volvo had the same problem.
I thought it might be the solenoid, turned out it was the actual wire from
the tilt control. I switched the up/down wires at the solenoids, and found it that way. Now I need to run a new wire this spring.....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx for all of the replies... I checked as much as I could and then I decided to leave it to the pros and I called my marine mechanic greg miller at strentek marine.. He helped me out as far as telling me how to jump 12v straight to the pump to get it raised to get it to his shop..... It is in brunswick now and I will post up when I find out what the actual prob was...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got my boat back today and it was a very simple fix.... had a bad connection going to one of the relays... He cleaned all of the connections and contacts and good to go.. I feel stupid for not finding it :eek: but I am glad it was a very cheap fix!!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts