close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power Tilt/Trim question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fastlane, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

What could possibly cause the tilt to bleed down rather quickly when it is full raised? THere are no leaks and I have checked the fluid level and it seems fine. Could using the wrong type of fluid cause this or is it a bad pump or rams? When the motor is down the trim works fine as far as I can tell.

2. Sounds Like Air Is Leaking Somewhere//thats A Guess

3. Fastlane

If it was leaking wouldn't it leak fluid as well? Can the pump be rebuilt if it is internal leaking?

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

my motor falls slowly too when up and it has been that way for 4 yrs now???

5. If it comes up your pump is probably OK...check the top of the pump for a big nut there should be a ball bering under it and a spring...take the spring out and stretch it and put it back in...if this helps slow it down replace the spring

6. Fastlane

I'll have to check that later this week John.
    Freyedknot, how fast does yours come down? Mine will fall all the way to the trim in under 2 minutes.

7. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

If the thing won't hold when it is tilted up, chances are the seals in the cylinder are leaking by and letting the fluid seep back into the reservoir. No external leaks mean it's an internal leak. Yes, I would say that the gland seal on the ram is probably leaking. You can probably buy an entire T&T assembly for a ridiculous amount of money or find a seal kit for an equally ridiculous (but less) amount of money. They're not too hard to rebuild. Just take the opportunity to clean up the entire area- I know that joint gets greasy/oily/dirty on all outboards.

I've done a few- just be careful on the hardware. If you snap a bolt it can ruin the assembly.

UFM82

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

not sure how fast mine falls. took over night when it happened.irun my boat all the way down position.i have a transom saver for long road runs . and have the tilt support for short road runs . so ,it doesn't bother me that it falls.if it was an easy /cheap fix ,i would do it.

9. My tilt is just a hydraulic cylinder to soften the movement, but then again the motor is only 80HP.

I would not move my boat anywhere without the transom saver.

So unless this is a new craft, I would leave things as is.

10. Fastlane

My problem with it is that I cannot put a transom saver on due to the way the boat sits on the trailer. The transom hangs off the rear of the trailer too far to put the t/s on the bunk roller of the trailer. I need to raise my hitch a couple inches too and when I do it will put the lower unit very close to the ground. Low enough that it would drag over a speed bump I think. Not a problem if the tilt would hold until I got it in the water but it falls too quickly for most situations unless the ramp has no traffic at all. Is the fluid in the tilt pump the same as power steering fluid? If so I thought about getting some that has the seal conditioner/sealer in it and see if that helps at all. I am also going to try to bleed it again tonight and see if that helps. THaks for the info guys.