close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power Pro Question

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by MarrakeshExpress, Aug 3, 2005.

1. After hearing so many of you guys talk about how good Power Pro line is, I think I'm going to get one of my reels spooled up and see how it feels. I've generally just used mono since I started fishing, either Trilene XL or XT and thought I'd try out a braided type of line. My question though, is whether or not there are certain lures or presentations not suitable for it. I would rather not get a bad impression of the line by using it in situations not conducive to it's properties.

2. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

I can't think of many situations that it won't work well. Be sure to use a mono backing to save some $$ and so the line won't slip on the spool. Use a Floroucarbon leader whenever you can and use a double uni knot to join the lines together at both the spool and the leader. On second thought, maybe when using crankbaits... You may want to use a lighter action rod or fiberglass rod so it will give a little when the fish hits. You will rip the crankbait away or out of a fishes mouth with the new "no stretch" lines. -Hooch-

3. If it were me, I would never consider using a braidied line with crankbaits. As Hooch mentioned, there is no stretch to the line, and using it with a crankbait would n't allow for playing the fish back to the boat. I personally still like mono for spinnerbaits as well.

Fluorocarbon line is another no stretch option for jerkbaits. But stick with mono for cranks at the very least. I also stick to mono for carolina rigs and fluorocarbon for drop shotting. Plastics and jigs are all I use braided line for.

Eric

4. I have the opposite view, and ONLY use Power Pro with moving baits (crankbaits, spinnerbaits, topwater). However, I do use moderate action rods with these baits. Most people really like using Power pro with soft plastics, but it has never felt right to me, and I use fluorocarbon with all of my soft plastics. For jigs...I use both, if it is around rocks Fluro, grass I use braid.