Pouring Lead

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Trophy Hunter, Sep 1, 2008.

1. I can't tell you how much money I spend at BASS Pro on 4oz bank sinkers @ $2.50 a piece. I'm going to start pouring my own. I heard that the ingots at the Pro shop are garbage. I hate to invest based on the opinion of one fisherman. What are your thoughts in regard to the quality of the sinkers versus the purity of lead used? I found a web site that claims to have 99.998% pure lead for sale.

Anything you think a beginner should know will be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

TH

2. At $2.50 a piece I'll sell you a 5 gallon bucket full. Just bend your knees when you pick it up.

A few years ago I poured 3 or 4 hundred pounds of flat bank sinkers. The best lead I've found to use is roof flashing or lead water lines. Both are very soft and very pure in their lead content. Soft lead melts at a lower temperature and pours easier than harder lead.

I tried some wheel weights which you used to be able to get free but they are crap. They have other alloys mixed in making them harder and there is a lot of waste that you have to skim off including the steel clips.

I was buying my scrap flashing and pipe at a local metal recycler. Its a cash business so they had no problem selling it to me rather than their normal wholesale buyer. I haven't been casting any weights for awhile but I occasionally collect some lead water lines while working.

I think the Do It mold website and their catalog had some good information on melting lead and the different alloys to look for.

And back to your question about quality, an ugly, rough casted hard lead sinker will still hold the bottom of the river. The fish don't seem to care either.

3. And back to your question about quality, an ugly, rough casted hard lead sinker will still hold the bottom of the river. The fish don't seem to care either
    I will second that all i use most of the time is wheel weights:)

4. Now that I think about it those sinkers are 5.49 per 2 pack; That's closer to 2.75. Pure lead sounds like the way to go. High-grade-lead-1lb-notched blocks sell over the net for 2.05. I'll save tons of money in the long run. Ken G, I think your right.

5. I melt lot's of lead and the best way to get it is from the small service station's,most of the big shop's are contracted with Exide but at the smaller one's you can get a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weight's for around 35.00,full bucket is around 250 pounds and you will have about 22 % in scrap.Lead at the scrap yard is about .70 a pound right now.As for quality as mentioned before the lead water line is about the purest I have found but that shouldn't matter a whole lot for sinker's

6. when your melting the lead down make sure you don't get any water in there what so ever or you won't wanna be around when that happens....

7. dip

dip dip

i save the lead from all the throw nets i go thru. made a batch a few years ago and should be good for at least 4 more i reckon. but i also have a bunch of dead nets ready to be recycled as sinkas.

8. just go to a local scrap yard and buy your lead it will be a lot cheaper and get a electric laddel to pour fron its a lot easier

9. Awsome advise...thank you gentleman.

10. I use hard lead for pouring jigs and soft lead for split shot. It is as simple as that.

11. Years ago I used to make my own jigs for the Maumee run 3/4 and 5/8. I have found that wheel weights will work for the heavy stuff, but it has alot of tin in the lead. The tin is not as heavy as lead.....so the smaller stuff sinkers, jigs etc. are alot lighter in weight. I have a friend that works for the phone company and he can supply me with all the lead I need. The phone poles or lines are grounded in lead! (pure lead)