Post Spawn Largemouth :B

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by pendog66, May 24, 2008.

1. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

i went out with steve, jen, ray and steves youngest son joshua today to catch some bluegill today, i was in the mood for some bass and noticed the bass were on their beds. After about 2 hours of not getting a thing and going through every bait in the tackle box i finally hooked up. It was a post spawn female largemouth that weighed around 7 pounds.. I later walked over where i caught her off the bank and there was a even larger one!!!! we brought the fish home for weighing and pictures and then returned it to where i caught it. heres the pics[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Very nice fish! Thanks for sharing the photos :) In the state of Ohio I'de consider that a once in a life type catch.

How many of us can honestly say we've caught a 7lb largemouth in Ohio? Not me!

3. pendogg, what'd you get her on? I caught a 5.5lb post spawn female yesterday on a smithwick jerkbait...

4. pendog66

well after trying a laundry list of things (diving crankbait, roostertail, swimbaits, hulapoper, jighead and grub) i finally got her to hit a brown rubberworm

5. nice job, that's a beauty. sometimes when they're finniky around the spawn a lizard has worked for me, but the best luck I've had is with a fake red crawdad that is constantly twitched so that it's claws keep moving.

I'll be fishin in Englewood tomorrow visiting my parents. we'll be fishin at either the damn or the gravel pits. maybe i'll see you there.
    -LP

6. pendog66

how did you do fishing englewood? i just hit the GMR didnt do anymore pond fishing

7. awesome fish

8. sunday i went down to the ponds on wenger road and got about a 4lb largemouth guarding his nest with a plastic crawdad. lot of bass there, but many just don't bite.
    monday morning went down to stillwater on martindale and got a 2-2.5 lb smallmouth.
    you have any more luck over the weekend? after catching my first 5 lber last year i had to wait a few days to avoid every bass bein a letdown.