Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, where was this? It's been DEAD around here(Medina area) Heading up to Spencer Lake this week sometime to check it out but the local lakes here are really bad at the moment. Like not even a bluegill nibble bad. Saw a guy catch a nice catfish but no one getting any bass hits.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would rather not name the exact lake, but what I will say is if you know the spawning areas of the lakes you fish. Start on the nearest deeper water and go from there. Deeper could be a 5 foot depth out to 15+ most of the fish I caught were on weed edges near drops and steeper banks at the mouths of spawning areas. Flats creeks backwaters etc..also focus on areas bluegills are bedding. I was using a bluegill colored frog and a green pumpkin finesse jig with a rage craw Jr. Trailer. This time of year if you can commit to searching for one or two big bites a shad colored swimbait can put some giants in your hand. Fish them on windblown points and the deeper side of flats preferably with some weeds. Top water and weightless worms will also produce some good action right now, again trying to match the hatch with bluegill or shad colors depending on the forage in your lake.

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
I would rather not name the exact lake, but what I will say is if you know the spawning areas of the lakes you fish. Start on the nearest deeper water and go from there. Deeper could be a 5 foot depth out to 15+ most of the fish I caught were on weed edges near drops and steeper banks at the mouths of spawning areas. Flats creeks backwaters etc..also focus on areas bluegills are bedding. I was using a bluegill colored frog and a green pumpkin finesse jig with a rage craw Jr. Trailer. This time of year if you can commit to searching for one or two big bites a shad colored swimbait can put some giants in your hand. Fish them on windblown points and the deeper side of flats preferably with some weeds. Top water and weightless worms will also produce some good action right now, again trying to match the hatch with bluegill or shad colors depending on the forage in your lake.
Excellent info!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts