Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Kayak Fishing's Most Wanted
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I recently bought a bass boat, I am trying to concentrate on bass more than I usually do. But fishing from a boat is a whole different game. When I was growing up, I was always envious of people who had boats to fish from, and now since I have a boat, I can't seem to catch anything....lol, so if I could get some tips on how to catch some post-spawn bass that would be great. Thanks, clayton.

·
Ohio Hawg Hunter
2,638 Posts
Hi Clayton,

If you are in Columbus I am assuming you are fishing Griggs, O'Shay, Alum?

On Griggs and O'Shay, you can catch them in a number of ways. Try working jigs and soft plastics around laydowns, grass and rock in shallow water. You can also target them in deeper water by cranking or dragging a jig or worm.

For Alum, you are going to want to target the points and offshore humps and ledges. During the early morning and evening you can get some good fish throwing topwater as well along rip rap and on points.

·
Kayak Fishing's Most Wanted
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, griggs is 15minutes from my house, so that's primarily where I go....I studied the map, and it seems pretty feature-less....I need to learn the characteristics of griggs. I'm sure alum tactics won't work there.

·
Bass & Catfish Charter Service
1,937 Posts
Since I recently bought a bass boat, I am trying to concentrate on bass more than I usually do. But fishing from a boat is a whole different game. When I was growing up, I was always envious of people who had boats to fish from, and now since I have a boat, I can't seem to catch anything....lol, so if I could get some tips on how to catch some post-spawn bass that would be great. Thanks, clayton.
I highly recommend taking my friend Fishingredhawks advice. He's got skills...

And I'll also ad some additional comments if you don't mind. The bass are not in a post-spawn pattern at this time. They'll be in a Summer pattern now. So for what it's worth. And generally speaking. They will be in, or near, deeper water. Unless the water is dirty/muddy. Or there is some sort of canopy of cover such as: lily pads, thick milfoil, or something else that will keep them cooler and in a hidden position to attack.

It may be a timing thing. Sometimes you'll only have about a 1/2-hour window available to catch some active bass. And during this time of year, I have my best success between 5:00 A.M. & 7:30 A.M..

Mike (fishingredhawk) says to crank or drag a jig or worm around. Well that's good advice. Hit them with a crankbait and always change the cadence/speed until you find what speed they'll hit. I think faster is better when the water is this hot. And if you don't get bit. Start throwing a rubber worm. You can't go wrong with a soft plastic worm worked slowly in the cover.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Not quite post spawn yet, at least in my neck of the woods. I was out this past Saturday on a local waterway in northeast ohio and saw several fish still on their beds. Pulled a few of em off their beds too :D:D:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts