close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Possible Dumb Question....

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshnteachr, Sep 27, 2007.

1. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I keep hearing you guys mention ripples, rocks, etc..., etc.. and "eddies." Can someone explain what an "eddie" is?

Thanks,
    Feeling stupid.... :)

2. Eddy or eddies = whirlpool. It's just that easy. There's no stupid questions, but sometimes stupid answers! LOL:)

3. I though an eddy was slack water at a bend in a creek or river

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

it's a section of a stream where water swirls behind an object such as a big rock,or other object,cut/sharp bend in the bank,creating a reversal in current.

5. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

fluid current whose flow direction differs from that of the general flow; the motion of the whole fluid is the net result of the movements of the eddies that compose it. Eddies can transfer much more energy and dissolved matter within the fluid than can molecular diffusion in nonturbulent flow because eddies actually mix together large masses of fluid. Flow composed largely of eddies is called turbulent; eddies generally become more numerous as the fluid flow velocity increases. Energy is constantly transferred from large to small eddies until it is dissipated.

6. fisherman5567

OR...its the little areas where a bobber will just spin in place or in small circles. Usually behind obstacle near faster moving water

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks for the clarification,fisherman.after reading your first post,my head was beginning to emulate the bobber in your second post:confused: :confused: :D

8. I see you haven't been keeping up on your Britannica readings.:D;)

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

due to my hatred of door to door salesmen,i've always slammed the door in their face before they could convince me i had a need for a room full of books:p :D
    i live by the ksuflash philosophy.............Keep It Simple Stupid:D

10. fisherman5567

Hey buy these 200 books for a million dollars.......NO thanks, ill just get on the internet where its free for all....duh

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yep.great source,and lots easier to copy/paste from a website,than a book,LOL.
    but the internet wasn't invented when those guys beat on my door,so i went to the library;)