Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for factual info on how to interpret the Possession of multiple days catch or any experience with law enforcement encounters regarding this subject.

I imagine this has been touched on at some point. However, I could not find anything specific.

From Page 18 of the 2018-2019 Ohio Fishing Regs:

It is unlawful for any person to possess a fish in any form or condition other than whole while on or when unloading the fish from a boat, while wading, or while fishing from shore on any waters in this state where a fishing license is required.

• do not clean the fish unit you are back at the dock/ off the lake

Fillets must be kept whole until an angler reaches their permanent residence, or until the fish are prepared for immediate consumption. This does not apply to anglers with a receipt from a fish cleaning house or charter captain which states the date, number, and type of fish possessed. Fish must be transported whole or as a complete fillet while returning from the Lake Erie islands on a commercial ferry boat.

• You may remove the filet from the "whole fish" but you better leave the skin/ scales attached to the filet unit you get home
What about storing a limit from the day prior?

Does anyone have experience in dealing with this situation? It just feels like a grey area that could cause trouble if you are very successful on a multi-day trip. I put a message and a call into ODNR but have not had any reply on this. I figured someone on here has good info to share.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I'm looking for factual info on how to interpret the Possession of multiple days catch or any experience with law enforcement encounters regarding this subject.

I imagine this has been touched on at some point. However, I could not find anything specific.

From Page 18 of the 2018-2019 Ohio Fishing Regs:

It is unlawful for any person to possess a fish in any form or condition other than whole while on or when unloading the fish from a boat, while wading, or while fishing from shore on any waters in this state where a fishing license is required.

• do not clean the fish unit you are back at the dock/ off the lake

Fillets must be kept whole until an angler reaches their permanent residence, or until the fish are prepared for immediate consumption. This does not apply to anglers with a receipt from a fish cleaning house or charter captain which states the date, number, and type of fish possessed. Fish must be transported whole or as a complete fillet while returning from the Lake Erie islands on a commercial ferry boat.

• You may remove the filet from the "whole fish" but you better leave the skin/ scales attached to the filet unit you get home
What about storing a limit from the day prior?

Does anyone have experience in dealing with this situation? It just feels like a grey area that could cause trouble if you are very successful on a multi-day trip. I put a message and a call into ODNR but have not had any reply on this. I figured someone on here has good info to share.

Thanks!
Possession of multiple days catch
example
when you fish jig bite west for 3 days,where you stay in,you bring the fish limit or not,clean and put in freezer,
after 3 days fishing you have 3 limits,transport in cooler all fish,you need recede from motel or hotel where you were staying,when ODNR stop you on the road,that is your proof.

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
don't have more than one limit on the boat while on or near the water. we fillet out fish mark the bag with date caught and how many fishermen that caught the fish, put them in cooler with ice and keep them at our camp sight. keep records of how many days you spend fishing. fishing license, camp receipt, receipt from motel, just something that proves you were there. we use to come up for 2 weeks and we had a small freezer we used for the 1st week then started putting them in a cooler.
sherman

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happysnag/ Sherman51: Thanks for the reply. That is what I was needing. Some sort of verification that my thinking was aligned with others (and the interpretation of the law). Thanks again.

·
Chris
453 Posts
Please share the official ODNR response that you receive if you would. I spend several weekends per year up at Erie and most of the time just catch a few hours sleep in the truck between trips. I have always wondered what the "official" stance is. Seems a bit unfair that one could be punished for not staying in a hotel or hiring a cleaner. I bag, date, and keep cleaned fish in a separate cooler away from the boat.

·
Chris
453 Posts
ODNR Website FAQ
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-informed/frequently-asked-questions

What are the rules for keeping the previous day's catch?

In order to keep fish caught, every days catch should be bagged, dated, and with a skin patch on them. If you stay in a hotel or campground, you should have a hotel receipt or receipt from the campground to show the dates that you were there as further proof. If they are at your house, then you can return the next day if the fish are left there.

Fillets must be kept whole and not chunked up until you reach your permanent residence or until the fish are prepared for immediate consumption. There is no requirement to keep any skin on fillets. Make sure that the fish that is bagged and dated from the previous day's catch is left at the hotel or camp site. You cannot clean fish or possess fillets of any catch while on or at any body of water. Nor can they be in a vehicle that is on or at any body of water.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm a little confused: Paragraph 1 refers to a "skin patch" yet paragraph 2 says "no requirement to keep ANY skin on fillet.

Also, "you cannot clean or possess fillets...AT any body of water." What is AT a body of water. Can my truck be parked in the lot with fillets in a cooler?

Their response answers some questions but generates some others.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Don't keep more than your daily limit. Clean them at camp, bag and label contents, date, and freeze. Do not carry processed (i.e. cleaned) fish with you on the water.

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
I'm a little confused: Paragraph 1 refers to a "skin patch" yet paragraph 2 says "no requirement to keep ANY skin on fillet.

Also, "you cannot clean or possess fillets...AT any body of water." What is AT a body of water. Can my truck be parked in the lot with fillets in a cooler?

Their response answers some questions but generates some others.

Thanks.

there was a law that requires you to leave a patch of skin attached to each fillet. but that law was repealed. as for having fillets in your truck in the parking lot that would be illegal.
sherman

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't have a camp, don't always stay at a motel, and sometimes stay in a truck camper attached to the vehicle. Given this information I can think on quite a few times when I would have been considered "illegal" even thought I acted "legally." If ever ticketed I'll take it to the judge, so to speak. Not going to debate the issue here and appreciate the information and opinions provided.

Great forum.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You can keep them so far away from the lake or at your abode. (camper).. There's a difference in that or transporting them back and forth in a cooler in your truck.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Please share the official ODNR response that you receive if you would. I spend several weekends per year up at Erie and most of the time just catch a few hours sleep in the truck between trips. I have always wondered what the "official" stance is. Seems a bit unfair that one could be punished for not staying in a hotel or hiring a cleaner. I bag, date, and keep cleaned fish in a separate cooler away from the boat.
you only need to prove how many days you were in the area. Any receipt like from a gas station, etc. could prove when you were in the area.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Take a picture with a news paper or dated item in it with each days catch. It has time and date/location encrypted it the photo( if on a phone) and would be proof/ verification

·
Registered
752 Posts
Take a picture with a news paper or dated item in it with each days catch. It has time and date/location encrypted it the photo( if on a phone) and would be proof/ verification
My "camper " is my 24' Thompson that I stay/sleep on all summer, tied to the dock I pay for that purpose in my "campground" which is is my marina in west harbor... I keep previous days catch in a cooler beside my dock. If questioned about multiple limits, I plan to explain that others were caught on previous days. In America, I don't need to prove when I caught the fish with dates, receipts and pictures of newspapers...! , proof is the burden of the prosecution if it goes that far....If more of you stood up for your rights the mickey mouse citations would cease...

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
My friend from Wisconsin was staying at a western basin marina last weekend. His wife, son, and buddy were along. On Saturday morning the lake was snotty and his wife stayed at the cabin. He and the boys went out and got their 18. Later that evening, he took his wife out to get hers. With 2 rods they had 6 walleyes and a perch in an hour off A-can. Upon returning to the dock, he heard some guy hollering on the radio asking for "the DNR to come to XXXX because the boat he had called about was returning to the harbor...and they were double trippng.."

The CO never showed up, but my friend was irritated beyond belief. The dude who did the calling stood beside my friend the next day as they laid their catch out on the table. That guy is lucky my friend is a patient person. I don't think I would have been as nice.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
you do not have to spend extra money for proof.
buy every day 1 galon gas with credit card,you have evidence you wee there.

·
Walleye Ranger
47 Posts
My friend from Wisconsin was staying at a western basin marina last weekend. His wife, son, and buddy were along. On Saturday morning the lake was snotty and his wife stayed at the cabin. He and the boys went out and got their 18. Later that evening, he took his wife out to get hers. With 2 rods they had 6 walleyes and a perch in an hour off A-can. Upon returning to the dock, he heard some guy hollering on the radio asking for "the DNR to come to XXXX because the boat he had called about was returning to the harbor...and they were double trippng.."

The CO never showed up, but my friend was irritated beyond belief. The dude who did the calling stood beside my friend the next day as they laid their catch out on the table. That guy is lucky my friend is a patient person. I don't think I would have been as nice.
We were down fishing out of Wild wings at the end of April first week of may, 3 of us went out and I couldn't get the kicker going, so we came back in we were only out a half hour to 45 minutes. We tied up at the slip and pulled the cover off the motor pulled the plugs and went to town to find some new plugs came back and got the kicker going, the wind picked up so we went back to the rental house and hung around until the wind died/changed directions as forecasted. We never took the cooler off the boat when we did leave as we planed to return, well we went out got a 3 man limit in 4 hrs and returned to the slip... well we had just got out of the boat when the Game Warden pulled up to confront us he counted our fish and checked them for size and we of course were good, he then said to me how many fish did you get this morning I said none we didn't even put a line out and I explained about the kicker after taking us aside one by one to question us so he could compare our stories he was finally satisfied. Now this is fine and good but whoever the spotter was or whoever called it in needs to take their head out of their butts. I follow the rule to the letter and it took me a while to get over that I was just treated like a crook, I know the officer was just doing his job to protect the resources but they need more reliable intel.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
It has to be someone who lives there. He couldn't have been any further off on his story than he was with my friends. In fact, they'll never go back there (and neither will the other two boats and crew that were also there last week) again.

I hope they read this.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We were down fishing out of Wild wings at the end of April first week of may, 3 of us went out and I couldn't get the kicker going, so we came back in we were only out a half hour to 45 minutes. We tied up at the slip and pulled the cover off the motor pulled the plugs and went to town to find some new plugs came back and got the kicker going, the wind picked up so we went back to the rental house and hung around until the wind died/changed directions as forecasted. We never took the cooler off the boat when we did leave as we planed to return, well we went out got a 3 man limit in 4 hrs and returned to the slip... well we had just got out of the boat when the Game Warden pulled up to confront us he counted our fish and checked them for size and we of course were good, he then said to me how many fish did you get this morning I said none we didn't even put a line out and I explained about the kicker after taking us aside one by one to question us so he could compare our stories he was finally satisfied. Now this is fine and good but whoever the spotter was or whoever called it in needs to take their head out of their butts. I follow the rule to the letter and it took me a while to get over that I was just treated like a crook, I know the officer was just doing his job to protect the resources but they need more reliable intel.
Please know that every year people are caught "double tripping". I sounds like someone thought they saw just that. Perhaps they just saw you headed out twice and did not see you come right back the first time when your kicker did not start. Also for every guy they do catch double tripping, and are guilty I would bet gives a story that sounds like yours. I commend the GW for determining the truth as well as whoever contacted him.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Copy of what the ODNR sent back to me regarding my questions.

"The intent of the law is for fisherman to keep their fish in the round while returning from fishing so they may be properly identified and measured if they are a species with size and bag limits. It is improper to clean/chunk fish and bag them in the scenario outlined in the law. This is an officer discretion on the stream bank. If one is fishing for perch and has a chunked perch, then it may be seen as inappropriate, but a cut up shad possessed by a catfisherman is a non-issue. If you have further questions, please do no hesitate to contact your nearest District office listed here http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/about-contacts/contact-information#tabr2 and ask to speak with the county Wildlife officer. Thank you for contacting us!"

-odnr (via facebook messenger)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts