close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

posi rear ends

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by truck, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Does anyone out there know much about them?I have a 97 2500 chev truck with a locker in it.It blew for the 3rd time and have ?s for someone that knows about them.Daryl

2. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

of locker do you have? Maybe want to consider another type.

3. According to my books it is an Eaton,what I am wanting to do is get away from lockers altogether!Lockers are made for slow speeds,if you are into the throttle and it tries to lock-see ya :(

4. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

You should look into a selectable locker, like an ARB. they are pricey but you can go from a completely open differential to a fully locked spool with the flip of a switch. I wish I could afford one myself, but the price is high, about a grand for the locker and the little on board air compressor that runs it(for a Tacoma). American trucks may be cheaper. There also may be a better selection for those from the locker companies. I am sure Eaton or Detroit or Lockright has some kind of selectable locker for a Chevy.

5. What I want is a good old straight up posi.I took all the locker parts out witch makes it a reg rear end.Am wondering if I just put the clutches back in without the gov that makes it lock if it will just be a posi?Been thinking about just adding more shims to the clutch packs.As I siad before if it tries to lock with too many rpms,they turn in to a pile of junk!

6. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Will chime in. I don't know anywhere near enough to guess how the internals would work in that scenario. Whatever you do, do not spool it (lock it full time) that would chew your tires, axles, and gears up. Unless you only drive it in the dirt or in a straight line. Good Luck.

7. Talked to a place yesterday that said it won't work just taking out the governer.Eaton makes a real posi unit $460.but they are on national back order :( told me it will be at least 2 months before I could get one.Plenty of time to try the clutch thing :confused: ,if it does not work I will get a new posi unit.daryl