close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

portage (turkey foot) ??

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BigCat, Mar 24, 2008.

1. BigCat

BigCat "road dog"

Hey all looking to get down to turkey foot with boat this sunday, can anyone tell me condition's, ice covered etc...

fish on :B fish on!!!!!

2. Robert Woodson

Robert Woodson Woody in Akron

Hello Big Cat,
    Long, Nimisilla, and North are open...Officer Dasher at Div. of Watercraft says (this was today) that State park should open soon...I don't think the ramps there or at Old State Park have opened yet...hadn't last week.
    Good Luck, at least this should provide some options for a back-up plan.
    Good fishing,
    Woody in Akron
    Portage Lakes/Coventry

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I was at Portage on Easter day. Here is a pic at the old state park ramp. Ice was about 1 1/2" - 2" except where someone had made a path through the ice. That path was still a half inch thick of ice that I had to break through. There was open water from the little bridge in the pic all the way through the canal until it started opening to West. Everything else was iced up. Fished for about an hour and went home. It was still good to get out, I just couldnt get anywhere I wanted to fish. I should have went to Long or North becasue Portage is pretty much unfishable right now.

[​IMG]

4. Just stopped by Old State Park and also Lakeside Park. Ramp at OSP is usable but only to go north. South to Turkeyfoot was still solid ice which was 6 - 8" before thaw started. Questionable if it will be open for this weekend. Was still some ice at the ramp but someone had just broken thru it and I saw them fishing just north of Dietz's. With wind and sun today that ice may be gone tonite. South 1/3 of West Resv. was open. North 2/3 still ice all the way across but looked like someone may have broken a path thru center before and it had iced back over. Wind was from south but didn't look like it was breaking the ice up too much yet. Saw someone out on East Resv. as I drove by clocktower.

5. West Resv. completely opened up. OSP - Ice at the ramp itself is gone. Ice to the south going to Turkeyfoot is just starting to open at the edges. If it stays warm, it should be open by the weekend, or at a minimum, enough to get thru. Don't know condition of Turkeyfoot, Mud, or Rex. Does anyone else?

6. BigCat

BigCat "road dog"

Thanks for all the info, I will be there sunday morning with boat, first time going.

fish on :B !!!!!

7. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Ill probably be out there Sunday morning also. The big ones like to bite after ice out. Who knows I might go out Saturday morning to.

8. BigCat

BigCat "road dog"

How about one last update for turkey, I will be there Sunday with my brother, coming from west of Cleveland just want to make sure, look for a red 14ftr and say hi.

fish on :B!!!!!

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Not going to make it there today, but I will be there Sunday morning going out of the old state park ramp. Ill probably head towards East, but if the weather holds out I will make my way back towards turkeyfoot sometime during the day. Hope the rain holds out.

10. I was at land big fish today for the sale and I guess word is is that all of portage is open except the pocket when you put in off to the right. Saw quite a few boats heading there today and some already on the water.

11. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

We stopped at LBF today also, then took the boat out on Portage for the first time this year. Man, it was good to get out on the water! :) Only fished for about an hr. had one hit on a worm. WB

12. BigCat

BigCat "road dog"

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    leaving for turkey now hope to see ya there, my brother and I will be in a red 14ftr stop and say hi.

fish on :B !!!!!