close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portage Saturday

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Big Daddy, Aug 11, 2007.

1. I'll be out there with my son Nick and a young man I met at the Canton fishing rodeo a few months back... He was a volunteer at the event and I told him I'd get him out on Portage for some fishin... We'll be bassin for the most part, but may try for some crappies too... We'll see..

I'm hoping the batteries hold out on the camera and I can get some pix... I'll post the report tomorrow.

2. Fished East Reservior Friday night and did well. Caught 11 in all, nothing too big to brag about. Best bite was b/w 530 and 7. All fish caught on the main lake in 10 ft of water.

3. Tough day on Portage today... Thought it would have been better.

Got out there this AM with Nick and James from Canton and promptly got boat checked by the Coast Guard. I'm glad he was there actually, as I needed my 2007 sticker... Well, after not being able to find my boat registration card in my overfilled wallet (NOT with money, with JUNK) I did dig it out and all was right with the world. On to the fishing.

Started bassin' on a flat in Mud Lake using Tx rigged worms... No takers, except the bluegills! Worked our way around to some lily pads and I picked up 3 fish, one of which was decent. All fish were shallow, buried deep in the pads... Love the ZOOM Super Fluke!!!

Bass were slow so we decided to go for the crappies/redears. That was slow too. Caught some dink gills, dink perch, 6 keeper gills and crappie, that was it.

Went back to bassin. James and Nick both had a couple hard topwater hits in teh lily pads again, but the fish got wrapped up in teh pads and got off. Was exciting to see those hits though. We tried hard, but teh fish got teh better of us today. Did get a few pix.

Also, a tip... Don't pack a lighter in your tackle box! LOL!!! James, who likes to night fish too, keeps his handy for lighting his lantern.. Well, we were sitting there in teh sunshine, catching gills and crappies when BOOM! His tackle box exploded and the lid goes flying! His lighter exploded in his tackle box! Word to the wise, Take matches to light the lanterns!!!!:D

James, when the fish turn on again, I'll get you back on the water and we'll get a cooler full buddy. Your Grandma will have extras for the freezer next time! Thanks for joining us and we'll do it again.

Pix to follow...

4. [​IMG]

James with a nice bass

[​IMG]

James and Nick with a few panfish

[​IMG]

Me with a bass....

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Hey Big Daddy,
    Was it actually the US Coast Guard that did a safety check and not Summit County? I never heard of the Coast Guard on state controlled inland waterways.
    That's funny about the lighter. I always keep one in my tackle box too. Was it a bic or a cheap one?

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have seen the div. of watercraft on the geauga county lakes . they will trailer their boat and do the checks on water.

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Yea I see them all the time on West Branch and sometimes on Nimi. The only place I've seen the Coast Guard is on Erie and I know they can patrol the Ohio River.

8. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

WoW. better warn my kids on that one mike. thanks

9. Sorry... Coast Guard Auxiliary... They do it as a public service at the ramps. :)

Actually, I have thought about contacting them some Spring to set up an OGF/Coast Guard Auxiliary/Div. of Watercraft boat inpection day, but with time constraints, it just never materialized.

Would be VERY convenient to get a bunch of boats inspected at one time, in one place, both for them and for the angler.