portage lakes

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by icemanohio, Feb 15, 2008.

1. any word on portage lakes? hows the ice? anybody doing any good?
    Need to get tomarrow.

2. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Iceman.....Thought that you would get these guys going, but everyones either ready to give it up (and think spring) or their still out there catching all those fish......saw earlier reports on 5" ice at OSP....Might just give it a hit tomorrow...........rain to come in on sunday/ when/ ? but they are calling for between 1/2 to 3/4 inches. So who knows,( the old here we go again.) if you make it out, good fishin to you man...........Jon Sr.

3. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I'll be out there tommorow around 10ish. I'm on vacation all next week so this might be the last ice trip of the season for me! Hopefully the fish will cooperate!

4. I'll be there tomorrow too... Between 10 and noon depending on how I feel...

5. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i will be out after 2 pm mabey osp but i want to try another spot first if i can get on it it was part open last week

6. May take a walk to see you guys, but I wont be fishing.

7. ParmaBass

Fished from around 10-6. Caught a ton of dinks, probably close to 30 or so, only 2 were "keeper" size. Also got a couple Bass, largest was around 2lb. Saw fishinful sporting a T-shirt in his shanty, nice day to be on the ice! I actually got a little sun on my face today!

I think I saw Big Daddy reeling in a nice looking Bass as I was leaving?? Johnboy thought that was you fishing across from us but wasn't sure until I saw the Big Daddy truck in the lot as I was leaving. If it was you I gave you a thumbs up!

8. goby

goby

can you tell me where to start at Portage Lakes ?
    i have never fished there before. will you be there tomorrow?
    thanks-goby

9. ParmaBass

Old State Park is a good place to start..... You'll see where to go when you pull in the lot, it's not a long walk! You might not catch alot of big fish, but you'll usually catch plenty of small gills.

10. Yep. That was me.

[​IMG]

Caught a bunch of dink gills, 5 nice keepers over 7 inches, one perch, and three more small bass. It was a fun day out there for sure. Saw fishinful and johnboy in the parking lot. Prez and Buns caught a load of dinks too with a couple nice gills and one crappie. Prez lost a good sized bass at the hole too. Saw Gilligan and his brother fishing a club event. Ron, who won?

Depending on the rain, I may be out there tomorrow with Nick.

11. went out to miller. did ok alot of dinks and a few keepers. Then got the bright idea to drive all the way to Mosquito (only took an hour) fished from 4 to 8 and caught nothing. Did see a guy get a nice walleye over by the bouy line, over heared him say he got it on a jigging rapella. Ice at miller was 3ish crappy ice and at squito it was around 6 to 7 with the top 1 1/2 white crap.

All in all it was a fun day. Got to use my Vex again. But even more fun was playing with my Aqua Vu. That was cool to see the fish look , shake and sometimes take your bait. Awsome.

Matt

12. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i got pics in the car but i dont want to go get them

but i ended up with 1 smallish crappie (8-9 in)and 7 gills that were decent (john boy gave me 2) i only caught 4 dinks in the deeper water (8 foot) but dident get a bite after 4pm i think they moved up shallow then

quality not quanity

13. ParmaBass

I knew Johnboy would take credit for those two monster Gills!

14. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

lol
    he is the one who brought them to me but i dident ask who caught them

he did kill a few beers at ditzes after fishing you should have stuck around

15. ParmaBass

Beer's?? I thought he had a big date tonight with some chick from Craigslist :D

16. gilligan

gilligan Guest

Good to see you out there Carl, Prez too. Fished tournament for Summit Sportsman Association. Top prize went to Bob Doyle with ten fish weighing in at a little over 2 lbs. Bernie & Don took second & third fishing Miller Lake. I finished fourth & my brother Bob fifth. Had 11 people fish, I think everyone caught fish. I had 10 fish, but a lot of dinks. Thanks for the tip with the wax worms. We did real well after getting the tip, but ran out of waxies. After that we only got 1 or 2 more fish. They were nibbling on the maggots, but would take the wax worm all the way. Fun day, & great weather out there.

17. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

no he said he had fat girls and stripers calling him

but i doubt there were stripers calling ;)

18. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

PICS
    BIG DADDY PARMA BASS AMD JOHN BOY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]