Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out to the North Res early Sunday a.m. Cool that Portage Lakes Bait & Tackle opens bright & early at 6a. I guess they have crappie minnows, which I'll definitely be scooping.

I've put in here a few times and have done somewhat decent but was looking for feedback on how largemouth have been hitting at the other lakes - Long, West & East Res, Turkeyfoot, & Nimisila? If I don't get much action at the 6-9a window, I'm planning on making a move maybe down to Nim.

Thanks & best of luck to ya'll!

BG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Getting caught up on TopCat's fishing reports just answered my own questions... See below if you haven't already - very useful info..

Excerpt (wouldn't allow me to post URL):
Portage Lakes
The recent rains have had little effect on this chain of lakes south of Akron. Ron Slater at Portage Lakes Bait and Tackle says largemouth bass fishing is excellent. Soft plastics or diving cranks fished near deep weed edges will take fish. East Reservoir, Cottage Grove Lake, Rex Lake, Long Lake, and Turkeyfoot Lake have been the top producers. Good catches of panfish are also being made. Big bluegills and redears can be caught in five to eight feet of water on maggots and waxworms. Yellow Perch have been taking minnows deep in East Reservoir. You can locate schools in about 15 feet of water off of deep points. Catfish are biting everywhere around the Portage Lakes. Good catches of channel cats are being made on nightcrawlers, chicken livers, and shrimp.

Nimisila Reservoir
Fair catches of walleye have been reported from this lake in Green in southern summit county recently. Trollers pulling diving cranks just off the face of the dam have run into schools of good-sized fish. The largemouth bass bite is good. Topwater lures and soft plastics worked around the pad beds will produce early in the day. Move deeper with crankbaits, soft plastics, and spinner baits later in the day. You’ll find them near deep weed edges and submerged structure. The channel cat bite is on fire. Chicken livers, nightcrawlers, cut bait, and live bluegills are the baits of choice.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Fished Turkeyfoot Lake Monday from around 830 to 1230. Wasnt having much luck until the rain started and once it did the bite turned on quickly. Caught 5 lost 2 in the next hour before my dad decided he was getting too wet and wanted to be done( Hes over 70 so I forgive him). All were caught finesse fishing worms around the weed edges in 4-6 feet.

Scott

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have catfish lines out on Rex Lake right now. The channel cats have been going crazy. I'll be fishing Rex for largemouth early Sunday morning. I usually like to work the weed edges, pad beds, drops, and a few places where I know of submerged timber (the long, rectangular bay on the south shore) with whacky rigged pro-senkos (pumpkin). Early in the day you can find them in water 6" to 16' deep. They're all over.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, good info, thanks! I'll probably put in down there next time. We only pulled in a few on the North Res. Was getting good action in the pad beds there though.

How'd you end up doing on Rex Lake Sunday?

·
Registered
433 Posts
My son and I hit Rex Lake for about hour last night at sunset. Worked the south shoreline. We picked up three largemouth and one warmouth on senkos worked around weed beds; both innner and outer edges. No real size to them, but fun to catch. The fish were shallow. We saw a number of bass working minnows around us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally made it out to Rex Lake and fished the southern shoreline as well. Pulled in one largemouth and one channel cat, both about two pounds.
LM on a senko on edge of lily pad beds and channel on nitro night crawlers, both in that inlet.
Had several other channels working my crawlers and cut bait on the bottom of other areas of the lake (including the western point of the small island at the entrance of the lake) but failed to set the hooks.

Turkeyfoot was busy!

Is there a public ramp into Rex? Think I saw one over there in Latham Bay, think I'll use that next time.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Need to vent. I was walking the shoreline at Rex today (9/3) casting a whacky rigged senko, trying to pick up a bass. Hooked a massive channel cat, instead. The hook up came just about two feet from shore. I saw him surface right after he was hooked and he was huge! He took three runs, and started on a fourth. I wasn't careful enough. Pop! There goes the line. That's all. I feel better. Sorta.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds rough! At least you had him hooked, I don't finish off my retrieves a lot of the time, impatiently. I hit Rex at 530a on the 31st and only my buddy had luck with Gills and a few small LM.
I made a move to Latham bay and picked up a few decent LM out of the pads between 10-12. Also received a few catfish hits that I wasn't able to set in time..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts