Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, fished Portage Lakes last night for the first time for bass..when i launched the boat i went to the right and trolled around the edges and got NOTHING! Was i in the wrong spot for bass? it just seems weird to me because by the lily pads and weed beds it looked like there HAD to be fish, but nothing. Where are the hot spots in this lake?

·
Banned
1,197 Posts
what launch where you at?? Try out in front of howies..it will be the point in front of the beach where all the boats are docked...about 8 feet and weeds...lots of boat traffic though.. bass will be every where...there is also a nice hump right in front of the spped zone as you go into mud lake...try around all the docks...out in front of them on the drop..I do well with a buzz bait in the evening and a black worm during the day...try a crank on the hump or just off. good luck and try not to get run over!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turned in left off Manchester road and then took the first left where it said boat launch and there was a big barge with what looked like a drill attached sitting in the water by the docks..does that help?

·
Banned
1,197 Posts
ya thats the main ramp...you need to get out of the bay there toward the boats that are docked...the bay to the left is good after you get out of the ramp area...then go straight out about 50 yards from all the boats docked on that point..there is a bar restuarant and a fuel station.. throw on a shallow crank..so you tip the weeds out in front.. from there go straight across to the pennisula end...about 100 yards off the speed sign is the hump..it is in front of a big boat house..

·
Registered
969 Posts
I got 8 decent ones this morning where you started. I was throwing a lipless parallel to the bank about 15 yards out from the bank. Caught a few others on a worm too. It was a good morning.

124 Posts
If you are fishing at night, get a Basswater Popper, or a Spro Frog. Skip it under docks or Pontoon boats. Use Braided line for sure. If that slows down, just skip a small 4 inch mocassin colored worm with a 1/16 ounce bullet weight under the same area's.​

·
Registered
274 Posts
fished a club tourny there his few months ago and went into the same little bay. nothin there either. the guy i was with wanted to go so we did. i dont think there would be much back there bc of how clear and shallow the water gets. most of the fish i get comes from the main lake weed edges. sometimes inside edge othere days outside and somedays hittin the docks is what pays off. havent figured lake out great yet but try to cover water till you can find a pattern or whatever works for you to catch fish.

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
you were at the new state ramp when you came out of there on your left is a bay its called rex then out to the main lake pass the sail boats there is point there and the under water creek good fishing there too and as other said howey point is what we call it and its a long point start at shore then work your way out,its getting close were them bass are going to start busting schools of shat to the surface watch for the birds and you will find the feeders,traps and spinning baits are good baits there and sankos,,turkeyfoot and mud have been good to me over the years and won lots of money in key spots in these to places,it takes time to get them but it will happen good luck hope i got the right ramp think i do,markfish

·
Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.
1,459 Posts
ya thats the main ramp...you need to get out of the bay there toward the boats that are docked...the bay to the left is good after you get out of the ramp area...then go straight out about 50 yards from all the boats docked on that point..there is a bar restuarant and a fuel station.. throw on a shallow crank..so you tip the weeds out in front.. from there go straight across to the pennisula end...about 100 yards off the speed sign is the hump..it is in front of a big boat house..
You're getting some good dope from Sady. Take it to the bank. Fish Sunday mornings and there is no competition from the wake makers (but stay out of the speed zone, it is sails only until 2:00 p.m.)

Buick

124 Posts
Was out on Turkeyfoot yesterday throwing 6-1/2 " worms out by the bouy's near the speed lane. Got 4 in the 3 to 4-1/2 lb. range. Then moved back to East Reservoir and fished by the speed lane sign, throwing the same thing. Did better over there as far as size goes.

124 Posts
Was out on Turkeyfoot yesterday throwing 6-1/2 " worms out by the bouy's near the speed lane. Got 4 in the 3 to 4-1/2 lb. range. Then moved back to East Reservoir and fished by the speed lane sign, throwing the same thing. Did better over there as far as size goes.
I had a great time guiding for a couple of customers last night. Caught a few pigs. East is where it's at. The very best fishing of the year is coming soon.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if i launch off manchester road, where the big drilling rig is in the water, what lake is that im starting in? trying to locate myself on the map

·
Registered
972 Posts
That is know to the locals as the bones, probably wont see it on a map listed that way though. I am pretty sure it is officially turkey foot. As soon as you come out of that bay and turn left in your boat that area would be rex lake. If you were to turn right out of that bay instead you would be headed towards turkey foot speed/ski zone. The bay just east of that with the statue on the point is known as mud lake. Hope this helps!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts