close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portage Lakes

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Quiver, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Can anyone tell me which lake would good for panfishing from a canoe without being bothered by speed boaters?

2. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

Nimisila is a great spot for bass/panfish. Though I dont think it is considered part of portage lakes. It feeds Turkeyfoot.

Electric only so speed boats are not an issue.

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

On Sundays and holidays there is almost no speed boats on the main Portage Lakes before 2pm. The speed zones are sailing only on those days. I'll be on Portage tomorrow morning around 8 am. Long Lake is also good because it is completely no wake. North res. is a great bass lake, but you will not see very much in size of any type of fish. I'd have to agree with steelhead1 you would probably be most happy with Nimisila though. Since you have a canoe you could even hit Nesmeth witch has almost no fishing preasue!!

4. Thanks guy's I'll try to get out early.as soon as I can That is! I usually make time to fish, but time has a tendency to slip by fast.at That's what the little woman say's.

5. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

hey quiver............... i have fished portage lakes for 20 years and have in the past 10 only fished the lakes from mid to late september to april all of the pontoon boats are put up and you dont have the people on the lake like summer if you want to fish in the summer then nimisilla is the best place for you it has a good bass population ..............i have had to many things on the lakes out their rhat have made me fish fall /winter months and i catch more and bigger fish this time of year one day steelhead1 and i caught 32 bass with the big one being 5 lb or so all in the same spot and another time we caught 6 fish with nothing being under 18 in great days and we did not see a person all day i have tons of stories like this hoped that helped.......jim

6. can you fish nesmith? can you put a boat in it? i allways drive by and never see anyone in there. maby a fiew people fishing the shore by that resturant. i remember when i was a kid i saw people ice fishing on it. but havent seen that in a long time. my parents allways told me the fish in there were posion or something so i never thought about fishing it.

j

7. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

There is no ramp at Nesmith, but you can put small boats in and fish.

8. Dingo

Dingo

Long is decent if not too windy (from the south or north). Use the canals on the east side of the lake to stay away from the wind if necessary. Hower, which connects to North on the south/east side is good for canoes. There's always a shoreline with wind protection. Miller lake (south of East res) will work as well. I've taken the canoe on Turkeyfoot/Mud, putting in at the beach, but it can get a bit hairy if the wind kicks up or the power boat traffic ramps up. As mentioned before, Nimisila is the way to go. Prior to a few years ago, Dollar Lake (east of Long) was a great canoe lake. Canal construction and condos probably screwed that place up.